Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

I/O Device Error

This is a discussion on I/O Device Error within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

I tried to get a .daa image file from a DVD using PowerISO and it came up with this message.
"D:\

The request could not be performed because of an I/O Device Error"

I googled this and I got the Microsoft Help site and a few other sites, but they all said the same thing, word for word.

This is the instructions:

Method 1: Change the transfer mode for your CD drive in IDE Channel Properties
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
2. Under Computer Management (Local), click Device Manager.
3. On the right side, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
4. Right-click the channel where your CD drive is connected, and then click Properties. Typically, this channel is Secondary IDE Channel.
5. On the Advanced Settings tab, in the Transfer Mode box for the device that represents your CD drive, click PIO Only. Typically, this device is Device 1. Then, click OK.
If the issue is not resolved after you change the transfer mode for the secondary IDE channel device 1, your CD drive may not be located there. Use the same procedure to change the transfer mode back to DMA if available. Then, repeat these steps to change the transfer mode for IDE devices in the following order until the issue is resolved:
• Primary IDE channel, device 1
• Secondary IDE channel, device 0
Note Primary IDE channel, device 1 is connected to your boot disk. This is the hard disk that typically contains your operating system.

I got into the Device Manager and then the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, but then I started to get confused. I tried the instructions but it still doesnt work, so I have a few questions.
What does PIO Only and DMA if available mean? Which drive should I do this on?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
How do I know which channel my DVD-Drive is connected to? There are two Primary IDE Channels and two Secondary. There are also two Intel....(lots of numbers and names).... options as well.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to elf

The IDE channel is actually determined by which cable your cd drive is connected to inside the computer, they should all be set to DMA if available. There are 2 IDE channels, the Primary and the Secondary (each channel has 2 subchannels: master and slave which is why you are seeing 4 different channels)

PIO mode is the OLD protocol that harddrives used. It is incredibly slow and almost useless. Maximum speed is 25MB/s if in PIO Mode 6 (but likely never hits that, typically runs around 15MB/s). DMA mode is significantly faster with speeds up to 100MB/s (this is usually listed as ATA/100).

If TSF has helped you, Tell us about it! or Donate to help keep the site up!
I do not subscribe to threads, so if I stop replying, PM me with a link to your thread so I can find it again.
Closed Thread