Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

i have no sound coming from my headphones

14K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
hi am a complet novice,i would like to use my headphones on my xp desktop,i plug them in an there is no sound at all,i cant see a speaker icon on the desk tray either,can you please help,i appear to have a reltalk?sound card,i think!

#2 ·
Do you currently have sound on your computer? What is the make and model# of your computer? Where are you plugging your headphones in? Plug them into the Back Green Audio port out of the back of the computer. Unless you have audio ports in the front.
Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager are there any yellow flags next to any devices? If so these devices need to have drivers installed. go to the manufacturers support/download drivers site and type in your service tag# or your make and model # and download the audio driver and any other drivers for your computer.
If you do have sound through your speakers, but you do not have the speaker Icon in your system tray in the lower right hand; Take note of the Sound device in the Device Manager (RealTek or whatever) Go to Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices. Put a check box in Put Volume Icon in System Tray. Go to the Audio tab make sure the default play back device is the same sound card in the Device Manager. Go to the Volume tab, make sure the volume is all the way up. Go to the Advanced button make sure nothing is muted. Go Speaker SettingsAdvanced choose Headphones.

#3 ·
thanks so much,i have tried as you said and still no sound at all,my computer is a intel 4,i do have a speaker icon but can not find a headphone icon anywhere,i do appreciate your help,thanks again.ps i have tried plugging headphones in back and at front of computer

#4 ·
Go Speaker SettingsAdvanced choose Headphones.
Do you have speakers setup? Or just your headpones?
In Sounds/Volume/Speaker Settings/Advanced choose the drop down menu and choose Headphones.
Then go to the Sounds tab, choose one of the Windows sounds with a speaker icon next to it, and press the Play button to the Left of the Browse button to hear the sound.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.