Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

I have legit XP Product Key but cannot activate it

This is a discussion on I have legit XP Product Key but cannot activate it within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello to all, I have moved from Australia to China for work. After one week in China I get a

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello to all, I have moved from Australia to China for work. After one week in China I get a message to validate my Windows, so I did, boy I shouldn't have done that. I get a message that my copy is not valid for the region I'm in?
I contact Microsoft in Australia, tell them the problem,to cut a very long story short, because I'm now in China, I'm Geographically blocked, nice one Microsoft. I then go online and purchase a new XP Product Key, which I receive via email[i had to use my mothers address in Australia and thats where they will send the hard copy]
I follow the instructions to the letter on how to validate my new product key, this is where the fun begins.I download the tool, click run,it starts,then stops with this message..The system may be low on disk space Error 0x800402c9. I might add here I have some 35 gig of free space on my HD.I email the Microsoft Support team in Australia, they come back quickly I will say with some instructions, which I follow,1 Clean Boot, 2,Register Dll Files, then try and validate again, did all that, same message came up, so I email back, get new instructions which are,1Create Restore Point,2 Deactivate Windows and look for HKEY_LOCAL..al the way to \WPAEvents, where I right click OOBETimer,click modify, change at least one charater of this value and on, 3 Re-activate Windows, Start,RUN in the open box type %systemroot%system32\oobe\msoobe.exe/a which I do and click ok, well I get a message which states C:\WINDOWSsystem32\oobe refers to a location that is unavaible{and a hell of a lot more] .
So i email back, I get a response this afternoon to try step one again, which I did, same error message, i emailed them back, and more than likely will have another email sometime tomorrow.
So all of this has been going on for almost aweek, my Laptop, which is a HP500,is starting to behave like a bad child. Does anybody out there know how I can load my new product Key, I have the code, and it has been verified my Microsoft as the "real mcCoy' man if anyone travels to China with a computer of any sort, and U get asked to Validate DONT

Thanking whoever can help me in advance
Li Zhongao

Old 03-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by li zhongao View Post
Start,RUN in the open box type %systemroot%system32\oobe\msoobe.exe/a
You're missing one backslash. And you might need a space after the .exe and before the forward slash. So try this:
%systemroot% \system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

HTH

Jerry

Old 03-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hey thank U to The Outcast, I did do that when I tried to follow Microsoft Techs info, I guess that I was rather tired last night and missed putting in that backslash when I decided to come to this forum for help. So now that that U know I did place the entire comd in the run box, and still no success, do U have any other ideas that I can try. I still cannot undertand MS, I mean they placed the "You may be a victim of counterfeiting" on my laptop, which has slowly started to die, I had a legit copy from Oz, now as U know I'm in China, so the mothers said I'm not in the right
region', I then buy another copy and still cannot get any progress, so why they or whoever did this to my machine,cannot just undo what they did from where ever they did it. I have asked the support people at MS this question, but no answer. No wonder 'OLD BILL" is back on top of the rich list,people like me get caught twice having to pay again for a product which is legit in the first place.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe refers to a location that is unavailable means it can't find the folder, so it's possible the oobe folder is missing.
If it was just the file, it would say
Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe'.

Click Start | Run, type %systemroot%\system32, press Enter. This will open the System32 folder. You can then browse to the oobe folder and see if it's there.

Mine has 257 files in 20 different folders. I don't know which ones are needed for the activation portion of the "Out Of Box Experience".
If you have an i386 folder (Most OEM systems do) the files are probably there.
It would be quite a job to individually extract them all, but shouldn't be to hard to write a batch file to recreate it. Some of the files are customized by the OEM, but the activation portion should be standard.

If the folder is missing, see if you have a C:\i386 folder. Search it for msob*.dll, there should be 8 files.
Search the entire drive if you can't find C:\i386, see if you find a folder with 8 files in it.

If the oobe folder is missing, and you can find the i386 folder, I can cobble together a script to try to recreate the oobe folder.

Jerry
Old 03-26-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

hi, i don't know if this will help but i will post anyway. In windows explorer, which you can get to if you click my documents etc, click tools, then folder option, click view hidden files, uncheck hide system files recommended click apply and ok.

Now browse that location manaually, Double click the local disk, click windows, click system32 which is a folder, click oobe whihc is also a folder, now find msoobe.exe

I doubt this will work because there are entries in the registry, you click on start, all programs, accessories, system tools, systemm restore, click the date which was working and restore pc.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
Registered Member

hi jerry i need this script to extract msoobe.exe .. would save heaps of effort as opposed to repair.reinstall!!!

PMing u