Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

I can't uninstall a game

This is a discussion on I can't uninstall a game within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been having problems trying to completely uninstall a game called Dawn of War, when I try to uninstall it

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've been having problems trying to completely uninstall a game called Dawn of War, when I try to uninstall it in Add/remove Programs it tells me "This patch package could not be opened. verify that the patch package existsand that you can access it, or contact application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Intsaller patch package.
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\1ee2751.msi"
I tried putting in the disc to see if i could reinstall the game but the only option it would give me is to play, the game which doesn't work. Can someone give me some help in what to do?

Old 01-31-2006, 11:59 PM   #2
T_Rex

Try browsing the CD itself. Usually there are exe.setup files you can run from there, as well and ininstall files.

Old 02-01-2006, 02:03 AM   #3
Registered Member

I tried that and a message came up saying "This patch packagecould not be opened. Verify that this patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid wondows installer patch package."
Old 02-01-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
T_Rex

Sounds like a conflict between installshield and SP2 i have seen before - with a paticular game. You can nsually uninstall the program file folder, then use TweakUi for windows and go to TweakUI Add/Remove tab. then within the add/remove programs tab, select the programs you wish to remove and click the Remove button. Close TweakUI when done.

Alternatively you can do it in the registry *be careful*. Click Start, Run and type regedit, then within the registry, open the below key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Within the above registry key, select the program you wish to uninstall from the right side of the window. Exit.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Registered Member

I did what you said and the game isn't there. Any other ideas?
Old 02-24-2006, 04:51 AM   #6
T_Rex

Back from Mexico now (was gone). Now, ideas. Maybe see if you have a system restore before game installation? If not you use try move-boot to get rid of your base files (you may have to do a few at a time depending) then manually edit/remove the game from your add/remove applet.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314481

Closed Thread