Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

I cant access my internet explorer :(

This is a discussion on I cant access my internet explorer :( within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, the other night my laptop switched itself off (think it had over heated) when i switched it back on

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, the other night my laptop switched itself off (think it had over heated) when i switched it back on a message comes up saying extenderplayer has encountered a problem and needs to close and has the option of send/dont send..(i press dont send) when i press the internet explorer icon, a message comes up saying 'internet explorer has encountered a prob and needs to close...I've done a system restore and nothing has changed, i still cant gain access to the internet explorer :( Please help me :(

Old 08-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
CEM
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to CEM Send a message via Skype™ to CEM

Welcome to TSF ;

You might run in the CMD ( run as an Administartor) SFC /SCANNOW System File Checker.

What IE version work on your computer.? System restore must be done in the safe mode. Also go to control panel \ internet setting\advanced tab then reset your IE browser.You might update browser to IE9 or if you have latest version delete and re-installed.Other option is download FIREFOX browser or GOOGLE browser.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Registered Member

Also if i try and open 'internet options' A message comes up saying an exeption occurred while trying to run C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dill,control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\system32\intecpl.cpl"InternetOptions"
Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi, thankyou..It is Windows xp..How do i turn on safe mode for sytem restore (sorry i'm no good at this computer thing lol) And how do i download firefox browser or google browser without having internet explorer? waaaaaa :(
Old 08-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
CEM
TSF Enthusiast

Hi again ;

Turn off your computer.When you turn on at begining ASAP tab on F8 continuesly you will see menu option and selcet SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING. When you login safe mode try to open your browser.If it's work go head and download firefox or google CHROME. Just go website www.firefox.com then download for your computer.

If you want to do system restore just follow same path which is you did earlier.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEM View Post
Welcome to TSF ;

You might run in the CMD ( run as an Administartor) SFC /SCANNOW System File Checker.

What IE version work on your computer.? System restore must be done in the safe mode. Also go to control panel \ internet setting\advanced tab then reset your IE browser.You might update browser to IE9 or if you have latest version delete and re-installed.Other option is download FIREFOX browser or GOOGLE browser.
Re: I cant access my internet explorer :(
Hi, thankyou..It is Windows xp..How do i turn on safe mode for sytem restore (sorry i'm no good at this computer thing lol) And how do i download firefox browser or google browser without having internet explorer? waaaaaa :(
Old 08-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi again ;

Turn off your computer.When you turn on at begining ASAP tab on F8 continuesly you will see menu option and selcet SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING. When you login safe mode try to open your browser.If it's work go head and download firefox or google CHROME. Just go website www.firefox.com then download for your computer.

If you want to do system restore just follow same path which is you did earlier.

Hi...i managed to get it on safemode with n.working. I couldnt get on to my browser tho :( and i did the sytem restore but they only had the last couple of dates available now :( and those dates didnt work. Booooo. so frustrating!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
CEM
TSF Enthusiast

Hi again ;

Go to START\RUN (windowskey+R) type in MSCONFIG then enter.
Go to startup tab on window will see bottom side then (disable all) button click on it and apply - ok restart your computer.

If you have any anti-virus software run once and check your Quarantine section in the software.If you have any remove them.Also clean up your TEMP file. Windows+R then type in %temp% then enter.

Also you can check this link if you can read from other computer.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP
Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi again ;

Go to START\RUN (windowskey+R) type in MSCONFIG then enter.
Go to startup tab on window will see bottom side then (disable all) button click on it and apply - ok restart your computer.

If you have any anti-virus software run once and check your Quarantine section in the software.If you have any remove them.Also clean up your TEMP file. Windows+R then type in %temp% then enter.

Also you can check this link if you can read from other computer.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP
Thanks, should i delete the antivirus software? It wont let me run it once I just get a box saying Mcaffe has encountered a prob and needs to bla bla bla
Old 08-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi leesyl22,

Pls. consider removing the McAfee, use this Removal Tool, it might be the culprit.

Test your connection after and give us an update.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
Old 08-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Hi leesyl22,

Pls. consider removing the McAfee, use this Removal Tool, it might be the culprit.

Test your connection after and give us an update.
Hey, thanks..I cant remove it through control panel and i cant get on the internet explorer to go through their website :( waaaaaa
Old 08-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
2xg

Well, how are you posting right now, you have access to the internet?

Are logged on with Admin permission? Then try accessing Add/Remote programs again from Control Panel.

You may also try using Revo Uninstaller-Free. Download this from another computer with internet connection and put it into an external USB flash drive or burn it onto CD/DVD. You shd try to find one. :)

Old 08-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Well, how are you posting right now, you have access to the internet?

Are logged on with Admin permission? Then try accessing Add/Remote programs again from Control Panel.

You may also try using Revo Uninstaller-Free. Download this from another computer with internet connection and put it into an external USB flash drive or burn it onto CD/DVD. You shd try to find one. :)

AH i seee! haha.I'm not very good with the whole computer thing :D..I'm using someone elses comp, will try your ideas, ta :)
Old 08-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Get yourself a USB Flash drive. On an internet computer download IE8. Drag the IE8 install to the troubled computer. Run the IE8 install.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #15
2xg

Some typo errors that needs to be corrected.

Are you you logged on with Admin permission? Then try accessing Add/ Remove programs again from Control Panel.

Quote:
Please let us know by posting another update.

Closed Thread