Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

hpofficejet 6500-e709a/no connection?/

This is a discussion on hpofficejet 6500-e709a/no connection?/ within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hope somebody has a clue to this. The above printer i have, shows"no computer connection" on screen therefore. i can't

Old 09-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hope somebody has a clue to this. The above printer i have, shows"no computer connection" on screen therefore. i can't copy scan doesn't work pc doesn't perform completey right. I have checked all the wires at terminal points on printer/@ pc.It faxes good prints good. There s some little thing, i am missing.The repair guy says "throw it out" new ones are cheaper than a Repair bill.
I try to fix things .this printer included. if you can help.....evan maybe please let me know.in plane terms please thanks ahead of time bob s hoping to hear.

xp

Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi bsa bob your post is a little confusing to read can you re write it and be a little clearer since you say it shows no computer connection and cannot print etc then further on your saying the opposite,did you try reinstalling the drivers and software or a new cable.
Did you check the manual for troubleshooting steps Manuals for HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer - E709a | HP® Support
drivers HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer - E709a | HP® Support

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Go to Start/Search and type devmgmt.msc. Right click the devmgmt results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Device Manager are there any Yellow Flags? or under Universal Serial Bus Controllers is there an Unknown Device? If so, Right click it and Uninstall it. Now go to Start/Devices and Printers. Is your HP printer there? If so, right click it and Delete it.
Now go to Start/Search and type appwiz.cpl and press enter. In the Programs and Features, uninstall any HP software for your printer/scanner. Unplug the USB cable from the computer end and restart the computer. When the computer comes back up, go to Software & driver downloads HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer - E709a | HP® Support and download the drivers and software for your printer. During the install, it will tell you when to plug the USB cable for the printer. Plug it into the back USB port. If this still fails, try replacing the USB cable. Make sure you have the correct power cable for the printer etc. If all else fails the printer can be replaced relatively cheaply.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Hi bsa bob your post is a little confusing to read can you re write it and be a little clearer since you say it shows no computer connection and cannot print etc then further on your saying the opposite,did you try reinstalling the drivers and software or a new cable.
Did you check the manual for troubleshooting steps Manuals for HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer - E709a | HP® Support
drivers HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer - E709a | HP® Support

really sorry about that my mind runs way ahead of my fingers.My pc does print on most things,.. the fax works receiving and sending, Now --The Problem is; the little screen on the front,that sets up the printer for its tasks will say" no computer connection"..when i try to use the "setup"button a "light flashes its a exclamation point shape."SEE device manual documentation,.and trouble shooting guide.

i am not to smart on computers! and i tried a different usb cable but to know avail.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

The easiest thing to do is uninstall and reinstall the software as advised

Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa_bob View Post
really sorry about that my mind runs way ahead of my fingers.My pc does print on most things,.. the fax works receiving and sending, Now --The Problem is; the little screen on the front,that sets up the printer for its tasks will say" no computer connection"..when i try to use the "setup"button a "light flashes its a exclamation point shape."SEE device manual documentation,.and trouble shooting guide.

i am not to smart on computers! and i tried a different usb cable but to know avail.
I did so.joeten~~~~~~~~ And still not working. bob s
ps Can anyone give me some pointers on what new printer i need to buy? I'm just an affecianado-- 4in 1--but smaller than this "big hp hulk" i have setting here. Although i shouldn't talk bad about it .It worked quite well since 99.~~~~~~~~~~ thanks for any leads and thank you all for the replys.and helpful opinions .

unsolved;
Old 09-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Did you follow the suggestions in post #3. Try that first.
Most low end HP and Canon all in one printers will do the job. The hardware is inexpensive, ans the companies make them cheap because they make their money on the Ink.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Check prices here Printers, Scanners, Inkjet, All In One Printers - Walmart.com

Old 09-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:

Thank you again joe you know the funny thing.if there is one,The ink was purchased and installed last week in my printer.Of course i will just have to throw it out ,man that hurts me~~~sometimes you have to lose a few bucks. I just never get used to this sorta thing bob s
Walmart close to me. this week i'll head over there. i gave only $69.00 for this; hp6500-709a 4.5 years ago.life span of printers ain't good is it?
Old 09-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
The hardware is inexpensive, as the companies make them cheap because they make their money on the Ink.
They don't have a long life span.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

You can get cheaper inks though you have to be careful as some is so bad as to be useless and even the better ones are never quite as good as original.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
You can get cheaper inks though you have to be careful as some is so bad as to be useless and even the better ones are never quite as good as original.
I tried "cheaper ink"they leaked, and i had a mess on my hands in no time thanks joe bob s