Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

HP Pavillion DV8000 Shutting down

This is a discussion on HP Pavillion DV8000 Shutting down within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I want to go back to using My older laptop HP PAvillion DV800 with Windows XP, however I wiped the

Old 06-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

I want to go back to using My older laptop HP PAvillion DV800 with Windows XP, however I wiped the operating system out hoping to start over completely fresh. The reason i did this is to obviously wipe it clean but was also having problems with it randomly shutting down by itself. Now Iam trying to reinstall the operating system on it but it wont stay on or powered up long enough to run the whole disc through it. I was thinking it was maybe battery and/or power cord, but ordered new ones, i have the new charger but still having the same issues, the new battery has not arrived as of yet, but I have taken the battery off of the laptop and just tried using the power cord which works on all others I have used, but this still has not remedied the situation. I really want to get this bad boy up and running because its a kick *** laptop, wide screen 17" and all that fancy stuff including altec lansing sounds and speakers... Any thoughts????
way2qt2bstr8t30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

The only other options is to clean the fans and apply thermal paste to the cpu, buy new cooling fans.

Your local pc shop should do this for you and a new hard drive as your system is 12 years old.

sounds like it's overheating when you have it on hence the shutdowns.
steve32mids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ill check into that thanks. Im not sure how long it would take to heat up that much, but usually from it being cool over night it lasts maybe 10 min, although I have not noticed any significant heat source coming from it anywhere either... Thx ...
way2qt2bstr8t30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
Hardware Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: W10P32, W8P32; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 4.4.2

Laptop are designed to shut down when they get to hot so that they don't start a fire.

Many old laptops have a layer of dust inside -- which acts as a blanket -- causing the laptop to get to hot and shut down.

One solution: Open it up and give it a thorough cleaning.

SpywareDr is offline   Reply With Quote