Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HP pavilion with XP won't boot

3K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  blackers 
#1 ·
Hi,

My HP won't boot properly. I have checked the harddisk and done a new windows installation on the HDD. So the HDD and windows are ok.

When I try to boot the PC it dies and starts over again. I can choose safe mode etc and go into the recovery console but still no success.

What can be the problem? Motherboard? RAM memories??

Is there a way to check for errors on the motherboard or RAM from the recovery console?

/Anders

#2 ·
Welcome to TSF....

How to perform a Repair Installation of Windows® XP.

Two things are needed here, just a bit of old technology, an ink pen and a piece of paper to write down any special settings that might have to be changed back after the repair-installation is completed.

Please Note: Performing a "Repair Installation" in this manner should not delete any Personal Files, it should 'repair' the core of the installation but to be safe with your data you should follow the next two paragraphs.

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or external hard drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable. and do the following:

REGISTRY WARNING :

The details that follow require an above-average understanding of the technical topics involved. If you do not understand the Registry material presented here, either find a technically knowledgeable friend or do not attempt to repair your system Registry yourself. Improper changes in the System Registry can render all data on your hard disk inaccessible. :

Here is a link to a registry backup program that is absolutely fantastic it is called ERUNT and you would use this to backup the registry after running the repair-install procedure successfully.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

(Remember to always keep a backup of two things: Your registry, and your data. You will never be sorry. ]

(The Windows® XP CD WILL be required for this procedure.)
( Recovery discs are NOT recommended with this procedure.)

A good set of instructions for doing a Repair-Installation are found on the following page and print out the pages of the site for reference further instructions on Slipstreaming Windows XP Home or Pro with any of the service packs are provided also other additional links that might be needed.

Please read the whole page on this web site to familiarize yourself with the procedure and all of the Warnings

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
The following links are provided for reference incase they are needed.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed. ]

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/917964

(How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install with IE6 Installed. ]

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Just be attentive and follow all of the on-screen prompts.

Just let it do its thing...now when you finally are at the Windows Desktop, power down the computer and re-enter the BIOS and change the Boot Configuration Order back to its original configuration.

I hope that this cures your woes.

Post back with the results, and if there are any other queries/concerns.

Cheers

#3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for a quick reply.

As I have an external HDD I have a fresh backup of my important files. So I have already formatted the drive and made a fresh installation of the OEM XP discs frrom another computer. The HDD works fine with the installed windows when used on another computer.

The problem starts when I try to use it in the HP.

#4 ·
The install disk from another computer. What make and model of computer is it from?

Actually if the disk(s) are not for this make and model of computer (They are processor and chipset prioritized) will not work properly in another make and model computer unless it is the exact same make and model as the other one.

#7 ·
Ok,

I'll try to run the RAM test program.
(When I look in the bios setup the RAM's are listed ok.)

Do you have any other ideas what the problem could be?
Is the problem caused by motherboard failure, RAM failure, still something in the windows installation (despite proper recovery disk used) or somethin in the bios setup??

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.