Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

How to setup a webcam ?

This is a discussion on How to setup a webcam ? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am running XP and Windows Live Messenger. I bought a used HP webcam that didn't come with any software.

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am running XP and Windows Live Messenger. I bought a used HP webcam that didn't come with any software. "Just download it off the internet" I was told. Well, the computer recognizes the webcam and installed some drivers. I can turn the camera on but all I get on the monitor is me looking at it! So, the camera works, but how do I communicate with someone else where they see me and I see them? Do I need some software? If so, what is your recommendation?

Thanks,

Bill

Old 01-31-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to quizme1220 Send a message via Yahoo to quizme1220

mackey, this article may answer all questions about a webcam http://www.webcams.arollo.com/setupawebcam.html.

Good Luck and have fun!!!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Registered Member

Mistake

Well, I tried that website but it seems to have some outdated web addresses. All I want to do is to be able to "call" or "email", whatever the correct terminology is, my kids and be able to see what their webcam is looking at (them probably) and have them be able to see what my webcam is looking at.

At this point I must have 5 additional emal addresses just trying to connect! This is more frustrating than fdisk and reload!

Can anyone simplify this? Shouldn't the Logitech software be all I need? Or do I need to download something?

Any help will be appreciated.

Bill
Old 02-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to quizme1220 Send a message via Yahoo to quizme1220

Hello Bill,

Which IM are you using Windows Live, AIM, Yahoo, etc.? You should be able to set it up from there.

Oops!! just noticed your first post.

Open Windows Live, click on Tools and scroll down to Web cam settings. Check to see if your settings are to your liking. Now click on Actions>Video>Show your web cam your contacts should be showing.

If you need further help, open Windows Live click Help>Help Topics, then click Table of Contents at the bottom left. Scroll down to Communicate with Contacts.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quizme,

Thanks. Your info gave me the basis for keeping at it. Windows Live and I didn't seem to hit it off. I then went to Yahoo Messenger and I believe I have successfully installed both. I have one computer downstairs and one upstairs. So, I have to keep running up and down the steps to "ask permission" to use webcam, back upstairs to say "OK" and so forth! Next will be setting up the downstairs webcam on daughter's computer.

Thanks again my friend.

Bill