22K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  fcortes 
#1 ·
Hello

set up

2 partitions, c and d, c has my windows files (xp pro), d is pretty much empty*

task

I need to get my system to be able to boot from c:

issue/problem

1. somehow my active partition is d, but all my windows files are in c. (d is currently the active partition but d has 3 key boot files that are allowing me to start the my only windows stallation (residing in c)
2. d has 3 critical files (ntldr, boot, and config), if I were to remove this files, I'm not able to boot. (I have tried.. as you can see below)

what I have tried

1. I have run fixboot and fixmbr from winxp pro install media. no change.
2. I have tried to make c the active partition with knopixx live cd and I have put the critical files mentioned above within the c (which seem pretty logical to me but somehow no change, I get an error message ( I can't recall the message exactly but it's basically telling me that I have no boot disk where they systems looks at.

How I came to have the problem

I'm not sure
I had cleaned installed win xp on c, and I had left d for data, then I installed linux with wubi and I used d for my linux/ubuntu/wubi file installation. then I had some problems with my windows installation so I had to clean reinstall windows on c, when I came to check how my system was booting somehow d was the active parition and this critical files came to be installed there, now, I need d to clean install fedora but I'm afraid I can use the d partition freely as long as my booting up is depending on that d partition.

I must be missing something..

any help is appreciated

See less See more
#2 ·
Boot into Safe Mode and copy those files from the D: drive and put them on the Root of the C: Drive. Now, rename the files on the D: drive (ex) NTLDR.old. Now boot with the XP CD and get to the Recovery Console and type FIXBOOT.

#3 ·
Hi

thank you for the reply

My apologize.. being busy and I've been meaning to try out your solution until I had some time off after work today

Unfortunaly it didn't work, instructions were followed to the line but I end up with a message that my ntldr was not found (ctrl -alt -del)

so.. I put my system they way it was..

a few observations

1. when windows boots "normally" my root drive shows to be c: and d: is where my working boot files are (boot.ini, ntdetect and ntldr), c is where I have my windows files.
2. when I log into recovery console I get a prompt leading me to believe that I got the opposite to what I get in the previous point: d:/windows. when I do map I get c: being my "within-windows" D drive, in other words the drive letters are transposed
3. when I executed fixboot, it asked me if wanted to apply the comand on C: which made sense... but did not work. I tried also to apply fixboot on D: and still the same result.
3. as I was making the .old files back to normal to boot up again, I run within pe.. this mbrwizard utility.. this is what came up:

1: List MBR entries

Running: mbrwiz.exe /list

MBRWiz - Version 1.52 for Windows XP/2K/PE November 13, 2003
Copyright (c) 2002-2003 Roger Layton MBRWizard! - The MBR Management Utility

Disk: 0 Size=238G
Pos MBRndx Type/Name Size Active Hide Start Sector Sectors
--- ------ ---------- ---- ------ ---- ------------ ------------
0 0 0F-EXTEND 100G No No 16,065 204,780,555
1 1 07-NTFS 80G Yes No 204,796,620 163,846,935

Press any key to continue . . .

also in win pe I got c: being my within-windows D: drive and d: being my "within-windows" C: Drive, so 0 actually refers to winthin-windows C and 1 refers to my within-windows D

I doesn't make ses that Disk 0 shows extended... Only God knows how it got like that but I think that maybe the culprit.. shouldn't that have to be a Basic Partition?

#4 ·
1. Go to Start/Run and
2. Type CMD and hit enter
3. At the prompt type diskpart
4. then after the > symbol type list disk

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 28 GB 1536 KB
Disk 1 Online 233 GB 993 KB

5.Now select the disk which you want to make INACTIVE (For instance if i want to make my Disk 1 as active i.e where the OS is installed and REQUIRED to boot, i need to select the drive which i want to make INACTIVE. In my example DISK 0)

DISKPART> SELECT DISK 0
Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

6. Type list partition

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 28 GB 1024 KB

7. Since there is a single partition on DISK 0, select it by issuing the command select partition 1

DISKPART> select partition 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

8.Type inactive - this will make disk 0 partition 1 as inactive

THERE SHOULD BE ONLY ONE ACTIVE DRIVE SO YOU CANT SET MORE THAN ONE DRIVE AS ACTIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.