Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

how to change the main hard drive letter back to c:

This is a discussion on how to change the main hard drive letter back to c: within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had to replace my hard drive an windows assigned the drive letter to I: not to c: how do

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

I had to replace my hard drive an windows assigned the drive letter to I: not to c: how do I change it to c:

Old 09-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team

Hi

See this article: How to restore the system/boot drive letter in Windows

Old 09-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

If you had an external drive (USB HDD, Flash Drive, SD Card) attached to your computer when you installed XP, Windows may have made your external drive C: and your Windows installation I:. There is no real way to rename the I: drive to C: Remove all external Mass Storage Devices and boot off of the XP CD and Delete the Partition, Create a New Partition, Format the Partition NTFS and Install Windows XP.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Management Team Networking

Do not follow that article Albert linked you to. It's a one way trip to a dead end.

I have seen this articles results many times on the web. You end up having to do a repair install which is the way to correct this to begin with.

Before doing the repair install you need to remove all attached usb devices. No flash drives or any usb device plugged in during install.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:24 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team

Hi

Sorry I should have asked why the drive letter changed and if this was a new installation or if you copied/ghosted everything from your old hard drive to the new hard drive.

As the article explains the only valid time to use that procedure is if your drive letter changes. Meaning if the drive letter was c: then something happens (eg you ghost the drive to a new hard drive) and then all of a sudden the drive letter becomes i:.

Wand3r3r and Spunk.Funk are both correct in saying if this is not the case then the only way to fix it is to do a repair install or new install.