Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

How to Change Appearance of File Folders ?

This is a discussion on How to Change Appearance of File Folders ? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have TONS of file folders on my desktop that I use regularly and they are all manilla yellow. I

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 03:20 PM   #1

I have TONS of file folders on my desktop that I use regularly and they are all manilla yellow.

I assume that they are like any other icon, but would like to know for sure. I don't need a whole new icon, but it would be nice if I could "color-code" folders so I can find them easier.

Is there a way to directly change the color scheme of a particular file folder, or do you need to change the whole icon ?

I've seen icon-creation/modification software before (years ago). If this is the best way to do it, which (free) program is considered best or at least "good enough" ?

Thanks in advance,

Meztiso

Old 09-24-2006, 03:34 PM   #2
Enthusiastic TSFer~Joseph

My System

Send a message via MSN to Joefireline
Hi,
the best I can think of, is to change the icon picture. Right click the icon, properties, customize tab, change icon.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

You can also refer this article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310192
Old 09-24-2006, 08:59 PM   #4

Went to the folder's options in properties like suggested and discovered that you can put a "picture" in the icon's image so you can tell whats in it. Haven't tried it yet. I'll report back...
Old 09-25-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
Enthusiastic TSFer~Joseph

My System

Send a message via MSN to Joefireline
I am afraid that wouldn't work. It is for thumbnail views, and you can only see it like that in Windows Explorer. (View > Thumbnails)
Old 09-25-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hi..are the folders on your Desktop shortcuts to where the folders are stored elsewhere or the actual folders themselves?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Hi..are the folders on your Desktop shortcuts to where the folders are stored elsewhere or the actual folders themselves?
Both, actually. Discovered (referencing my previous post) that the "picture" option is only available for "thumbnail view" image folders.

But, happily, the "custom" tap in the folders "properties" seems to allow me to change the appearance of a single icon (as opposed to global changes to all of them, which I was trying to avoid).

I've downloaded a freeware (30 trial) icon program which seems to have plenty of icons in the library, but I am trying to figure out how to access them via Windows Explorer so I can use them. They seem to be in some sort of proprietary "library" format that can only be accessed by the freeware program. I'm sure I can get access to them with time, but I was hoping this would be a "down & dirty" operation.

Also, seems the program will allow you to edit the icons similar to MS Paint. I have noticed that, for all the thousands of icons available in the libraries (on the interent) making basic folder icons does not seem to be a particularly popular endeavor. Guess it's not "sexy"...

*I* think custom folder icons are VERY sexy, lol ...