Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

How do you change the system password in Windows XP?

This is a discussion on How do you change the system password in Windows XP? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have often encountered the advice to use strong passwords. I want to change the system password on my PC

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have often encountered the advice to use strong passwords. I want to change the system password on my PC but I don't know the procedure for changing it. My PC is a Gateway E2500 and the operating system is Windows XP, Service Pack 3.

I've checked the manual, where the phrase "system password" does not appear. It doesn't appear in Microsoft Help or its Glossary, either.

I know what my present password is, so this isn't a forgotten password problem. I am not talking about a user password for a user account, but the system password for the whole operating system.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

the user (admin) account is the full operating system unless you are talking about the bio password. That is the one where when you turn on the computer it immediately asks for the password.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
Moderator - Microsoft Support Team

References to the system password probably mean that for the Administrator account. It is the most powerful account in the system and can do the most damage, either accidentally or maliciously. If security is a concern it should have a strong password. But on many systems it doesn't have a password at all. Give it a good password, write it down, and put it in a secure location. Do not loose this password. If lost this forum will not be able to help you.

You can change the Administrator password from the Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management. Look in the "Local Users and Groups" section. This password can be changed by anyone logged in with an administrative account.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

How do you change the BIOS password? That may be the one we are talking about. I know that the password for my Admin user account is different from the system password that I want to change.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Boot the computer into Setup ( Bios) look for Password or something like that. After you set a password, every time you restart your computer you will have to type the Bios password in before Windows will load and you can use the computer. If you forget your password you will not be able to access the computer and it is a little difficult to reset the Bios and password again. Unless this is a laptop and you are avoiding theft, there is little reason to set a bios password, and the Administrator passwords are enough.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
computer wizard

what is your query/?/ you already have a bios password set and you want to change it? or you want to create one?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

I want to change the system password. If that's the same as the BIOS password then that's what I want to change. I don't have to type it in every time I turn on the computer, though, which doesn't fit with what Spunk.funk is saying.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluge View Post
I want to change the system password. If that's the same as the BIOS password then that's what I want to change. I don't have to type it in every time I turn on the computer, though, which doesn't fit with what Spunk.funk is saying.
you are getting confusing - do you or do you not want to type a password every time you turn on the computer?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
computer wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluge View Post
I'm lost IN THIS THREAD,I dont fully understand what you want to do,you either want to create a bios password,or change the one you already have, which is it,?
Old 03-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

There is no "System Password" Each User account, including the built in Administrator account, may or may not have a Password attached to it. You can change the password of any account if you are logged in an account as user with Admin rights. by going to Start/Run and type control userpasswords2. Highlighting the account and choosing Change Password. If you want extra added security, you can add a Bios Password. This is set by booting into Setup (Bios) This is not part of your Windows or even your Hard Drive, but the Bios of your computer. If you set up this Bios password, you would have to type it in each time you started your computer before Windows Loads. If you forget or loose this Bios password, your computer will be disabled until the correct password is typed. I hope that clears it up for you.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
computer wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
There is no "System Password" Each User account, including the built in Administrator account, may or may not have a Password attached to it. You can change the password of any account if you are logged in an account as user with Admin rights. by going to Start/Run and type control userpasswords2. Highlighting the account and choosing Change Password. If you want extra added security, you can add a Bios Password. This is set by booting into Setup (Bios) This is not part of your Windows or even your Hard Drive, but the Bios of your computer. If you set up this Bios password, you would have to type it in each time you started your computer before Windows Loads. If you forget or loose this Bios password, your computer will be disabled until the correct password is typed. I hope that clears it up for you.
true words spoken