Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

how do i view ALL files?

This is a discussion on how do i view ALL files? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i have a folder with many, many, many subfolders. and those subfolders have subfolders, and those subfolders have subfolders, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

i have a folder with many, many, many subfolders. and those subfolders have subfolders, and those subfolders have subfolders, etc. so how do i view the entire folder's files at once? ultimately, i would like to delete all the subfolders, and have only files. could i do this? or could i copy all the folder's contents, then delete all the subfolders, then paste all the files into the folder?

sorry if all that was confusing. help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
john :D

Old 04-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

OS: Vista/Solaris 2.5,3,6,8,10/Linux/Mac/Xp pro,home,multimeda/W98/W95/DOS/Amiga

Send a message via AIM to Facade Send a message via MSN to Facade

You cant veiw all of the files in many subfolders in one folder, which is what i dislike about Windows.

I don't quite understand what you are trying to delete, but i hope ^ answered the first part of your question

Old 04-12-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

oh ok. thank you. it did answer my question. now it's off to moving, copying, and pasting. this is gonna take a loooooooooong time!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
Roaming To Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlovesmoney View Post
i have a folder with many, many, many subfolders. and those subfolders have subfolders, and those subfolders have subfolders, etc. so how do i view the entire folder's files at once? ultimately, i would like to delete all the subfolders, and have only files. could i do this? or could i copy all the folder's contents, then delete all the subfolders, then paste all the files into the folder?
What do you want to view, just the file names and sizes or you need to have access to them all, as in open/closing them as done in Windows Explorer?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
Registered Member

OS: Vista/Solaris 2.5,3,6,8,10/Linux/Mac/Xp pro,home,multimeda/W98/W95/DOS/Amiga

Send a message via AIM to Facade Send a message via MSN to Facade

Kalim, he means to veiw the contents of many subfolders, under one folder. This is not possible.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Roaming To Help

Facade, if he means just the names and file sizes of all the folders/files then that is possible.

We'll wait to see what he says.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:41 AM   #7
Enthusiastic TSFer~Joseph

My System

Send a message via MSN to Joefireline

Hi,
here is the easist way to do it I can think of.
Click on 'Folders' in the toolbar, expand all the folders and subfolders, and drag and drop them into the folder you want them all to be in.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:24 AM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus, Articles Team

When it comes to files/folders management, one program springs to my mind: Total Commander
Old 06-04-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
Registered Member

Obviously this is a bit late for the op but I was just also searching for an answer to this problem and then thought of the painfully easy solution that I had been overlooking so I decided to post the answer for anyone else with a similar task:

Do a windows search! In XP, search all files or folders and use the topmost folder that contains all of those subfolders as the search location. Type * (asterisk is a wildcard) as the search string and bam, you'll get a list of everything in the top folder and everything in the subfolders all in one window. I tried this in XP pro and it works in Vista too.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Here is another one but you do not have to search.

Open windows explorer and highlite the hard drive or folder you want to view and then press the asterisk key * and like magic every single directory in the tree opens up to show its contents.

I think that is what the member is looking for....
Old 06-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi ThorXP,

I just tried that and it don't work for me.
Should I start a thread?

Mack1

Old 06-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

I have been using this for a long time on my drive E:\ and it works like a charm but on some of my other drives it does not work I guess you are right. It is another one of those intermittent Microsoft commands that only works when it want to.

I apologize for the partially incorrect post, made to look bad by Microsoft again....

Highlighting the drive in windows explorer and then pressing the minus or plus keys opens some and closes them again but does not open all of them so the whole tree structure is showing.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #13
Registered Member

@ThorXP: Thanks ever so much! I was trying to do what the TC was and this thread has saved me so much time :)