Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

how do i know if a system restore point will work?

This is a discussion on how do i know if a system restore point will work? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. how do i know if a system restore point will work? Takes 40 minutes then says cannot restore. Try another

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

how do i know if a system restore point will work? Takes 40 minutes then says cannot restore. Try another point! This happened four times!

Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #2

Have you tried in safemode so nothing is interfering with it.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, tried safemode. But now any restore points beyond this month have disappered.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #4

We are at the end of Feb. Why do you need to go back that far?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
Moderator - Microsoft Support Team

There is no way you can know ahead of time which restore points will work because that would require knowledge of the future. Any restore point should work but there are situations where they do not. System Restore works best if it is used as soon as possible after a problem occurs. The further back you go the more likely that a system restore will fail or have undesired effects.

When a system restore is attempted (except in safe mode) it will itself create a restore point to allow an undo of the restore. This will likely delete one or more older restore points. Once a restore point is deleted it cannot be recovered. System Restore is most reliable in safe mode but be aware that if it does not work as expected it cannot be reversed. This is because restore points cannot be created in safe mode.

Do not expect a system restore to recover user data as it was specifically designed not to do this. That is what backups are for.