Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

How can i increase size of C drive

This is a discussion on How can i increase size of C drive within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, My HDD is approx 120gb and has been divided between C:/ and a D:/. My problem is that

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

Hi there,
My HDD is approx 120gb and has been divided between C:/ and a D:/.
My problem is that after putting a lot on the C drive I have only a small % of space left, however on the D drive I have only used 1% of drive volume.
Is it possible to increase the size of drive C by taking it from drive D. and if so, how do I do it.

Thanks
Spiritmist

Old 07-25-2007, 05:42 AM   #2
Registered Member

your D partition on your h/drive is for your system restore. and only a small amount of space is used for D. you need to either get an external h/drive or a new larger lnternal one

Old 07-25-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritmist View Post
Hi there,
My problem is that after putting a lot on the C drive I have only a small % of space left, however on the D drive I have only used 1% of drive volume.
Is it possible to increase the size of drive C by taking it from drive D. and if so, how do I do it.

Thanks
Spiritmist
How large is the D:/ partition, it may not be a system restore area if it is not, then yes you can enlarge your C:/ partition.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

purchase a single license copy of acronis disk director software. This will allow you to easily and safely move the sizes of your partition(s) around. I've used this software numerous times on IDE, SATA, and SCSI drives, if you are messing around by any chance with a server OS you WILL need the server version of the software.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Hi again,
My C drive is approx 20% of the total HDD volume and the D drive is about 75% of the total HDD and there is also about 5% which is dedicated for back up purposes. I guess what i'm trying to do is give more space to the C drive from the D drive. If that makes sense.

regards
Spiritmist
Old 07-26-2007, 06:59 AM   #6
Not...

Hi,
PartitionLogic is a freeware program that will let you resize the partitions.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #7
Registered Member

Volitile.geek is correct, Disk director will do what you want to do, as will several other programs. Partition Logic is another one that is free just do a search for partiton software and you will find a lot of programs that will do the job.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:45 AM   #8
Registered Member

Pencil

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritmist View Post
Hi there,

Thanks
Spiritmist