Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

How Can i format my computer without losing data in "C" Drive

This is a discussion on How Can i format my computer without losing data in "C" Drive within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I don't know from where but i got some virus in my comp. I tried scanning my comp using

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I don't know from where but i got some virus in my comp. I tried scanning my comp using AVG but it did not find any virus. It did find some, but they were not removed as AVG was unable to remove them. Now, i restarted my comp. But my comp won't start. After the Windows XP loading bar comes, i get a blue screen and it won't go ahead from there. I thought of formatting but realized that i had many important documents on "C" Drive. I don't want to lose it. So, i did not format, just gave the repair option to repair my Windows OS. After repairing, it still gets hanged at the windows loading bar.

So, please help me. I want the data on "C" Drive badly and i can't afford to lose it. I have no backup of it whatsoever. Please tell me how can i get the data and then i will format it.

Waiting for some good replies.

Thanking you

Old 11-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #2

Pull the hard drive from the computer. Put it on an External USB Enclosure/Adapter. Mount the now external drive to a working computer. Pull the data off that you can't live without. Put old HDD back in computer, boot off of XP CD and Format and install Windows.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any external USB enclosure/adapter.

Instead, can i do this somehow. I install a copy of Windows on "D" drive. Then i copy data from "C" Drive and then again format it properly.
Please tell me if that is possible somehow.

Thanking you
Old 11-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

That is risky . . you could also take the drive out and attach in in place of a CD/DVD drive in a working pc with uptodate antivirus and salvage the files. Then oput it back in and reinstall.

Another option is to put a new drive in and install on it . . then attach the old one and copy files
Old 11-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.

Can I do this way:

I have an external HDD. Can i install windows on the external hdd and then attach it to my pc and run the OS installed on the external hdd. And then i can copy the data.

Waiting for a reply.

Thanking you
Old 11-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Windows will not install on an external drive. You could boot from something like Knoppix and copy the files

http://www.knoppix.net/
Old 11-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Xeneth

If you have an extra drive, set that to main, the current one to be a slave, and install it on the new drive.

if you have an external drive, why not just move what you want to keep, then format the internal drive?

EDIT: To do the move, boot from a CD.