Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

How Can I Enable Drive Mapping

This is a discussion on How Can I Enable Drive Mapping within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have a locked down user I need to map a drive for. However, she is unable to. When

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hello,
I have a locked down user I need to map a drive for. However, she is unable to. When Right clicking the My computer icon, going in explorer and choosing Tools > Map Network Drive... etc ... those options do not exist.

Does anyone know where in the Group Policy Editor (GPEDIT.MSC) I can go to reenable this option?

Thank you,
Joe

Old 09-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

http://eztarun.blogspot.com/2007/01/...m-network.html

Old 09-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

I was actually just on that EXACT website, and tried what it said... That setting was already set, so I changed it to the oposite. Still, no luck.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

You say those options do not exist. Do you mean that when you go to Tools, it doesn't list "Map Network Drive"?

What do you see when you click on Tools?
Old 09-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

There is an option in the middle of the box that says connect as another user.
Vista Repair
Downgrade Vista
Old 09-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

I doubt this one will work, but give it a try:

Add a Map Drive Button to the Toolbar
Do you want to quickly map a network drive, but can't find the toolbar button? If you map drives often, use one of these options to add a Map Drive button to the folder toolbar in My Computer.

Option One (Long Term Fix)
1. Open My Computer, right-click the toolbar, then unlock the toolbars, if necessary.
2. Right-click the toolbar again and click Customize.
3. Under Available toolbar buttons, locate Map Drive, and drag it
into the position you want on the right under Current toolbar buttons.
4. Click Close, click OK, and then click OK again.
You now have a drive mapping buttons on your My Computer toolbar, so you can map drives from any folder window. To unmap drives, follow the above procedure, selecting Disconnect under Available toolbar buttons.

Option Two (Quick Fix)
Right-click My Computer and choose Map Network Drive. If you place your My Computer icon directly on the desktop, you can make this move in only two clicks! Otherwise, you can right-click the My Computer icon in the Start Menu.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...xp_tips_ms.asp
Old 09-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thank you for your assistance, but I am afraid it isn't that easy.
The interface was locked down as it is for a corporate field user.

When you go in the "Tools" menu, the only available menu selection is "Synchronize", -nothing- else.

I am just looking to enable "Map Network Drive" for the user.

The entire function is currently disabled, and toolbar work arounds won't work as it was originally locked down intentionally, however it is required to be enabled now.

Thanks again!
Old 09-17-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Well, I don't know a whole lot about Drive Mapping, but I did see this other "thing" on another website. However, I have absolutely no idea how to work it, maybe you can making something of it.

http://www.aejw.com/default.aspx?dev/cnetworkdrive

http://www.codeguru.com/csharp/cshar...p/c12357/#more
Old 09-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

If it is a desktop lock down done in AD you will need to move them to a group with access temporarily to map the drive.
Vista Repair
Downgrade Vista
Old 09-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
RichardIII

I think the easiest way to get this accomplished is to get an admin for that system (local admin rights) there and let him/her do that.

I feel that this borders a violation of our forum rules, the rules can be found HERE

Old 09-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

From the way it was reading (second line, post 1) I thought we were dealing with an admin. Is that not so? Regardless, my last post tells a way to fix this, which only an admin can do, since they are the only ones who have access to this.
Vista Repair
Downgrade Vista
Old 09-18-2007, 04:17 AM   #12
RichardIII

Hi Kinbard et all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinbard View Post
From the way it was reading (second line, post 1) I thought we were dealing with an admin. Is that not so? Regardless, my last post tells a way to fix this, which only an admin can do, since they are the only ones who have access to this.
Even local admins don't have to have "total control" over a system, in high security environments it is quite common that there are different levels of control by different local admins.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:20 AM   #13
Registered Member

That is correct. I logged in using the local administrator account, and was still unable to map a network drive. We even added the user's account to the local administrators group. No luck at all.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:56 AM   #14
RichardIII

Hi imfusio

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfusio2 View Post
That is correct. I logged in using the local administrator account, and was still unable to map a network drive. We even added the user's account to the local administrators group. No luck at all.
Have you taken this issue to your senior administrators? The ones who created the policies?

Old 09-18-2007, 06:59 AM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

Since drive mapping is network related, network policies would over-ride local policies. If you are not an admin for the network you need to follow Richardiii advice. BTW Richardiii I didn't even consider local policies since we were talking drive mapping. Thanks for broadening by thoughts
Vista Repair
Downgrade Vista
Old 09-18-2007, 07:14 AM   #16
RichardIII

Hi Kinbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinbard View Post
Since drive mapping is network related, network policies would over-ride local policies. If you are not an admin for the network you need to follow Richardiii advice. BTW Richardiii I didn't even consider local policies since we were talking drive mapping. Thanks for broadening by thoughts
You're welcome! Lot's of company related questions the last few days... I wonder what happened to the IT-departments (Outsourced???)

Old 09-18-2007, 09:40 AM   #17
Registered Member

Lol, we're definitely not outsourced in this location. The problem with senior nework admins is that the system was flawed..! One administrator before I even started with this company created the locked down policy on field machines and we're working on unlocking them whenever they have issues.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #18
RichardIII

Hi imfusio2

Quote:
Lol, we're definitely not outsourced in this location. The problem with senior nework admins is that the system was flawed..! One administrator before I even started with this company created the locked down policy on field machines and we're working on unlocking them whenever they have issues.
Be glad, besides the difference in time and other annoyances and risks; there is no fun in an outsourced IT-department...

Then... you know the procedure? It should be documented somewhere, not?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #19
Registered Member

We're able to enable many of the features that were disabled. For example, the user's Start > *Run* command was disabled, and we were able to reenable it by using the local adminstrator account to use GPEDIT.MSC and turn it back on.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #20
RichardIII

Hi Imfusio

Quote:
We're able to enable many of the features that were disabled. For example, the user's Start > *Run* command was disabled, and we were able to reenable it by using the local adminstrator account to use GPEDIT.MSC and turn it back on.
While I understand your need for information, and I believe your intents are the best, I am bound (like any other member in here) by the forum rules, which state clearly:

Quote:
We will not assist any user who, in our opinion, is clearly trying to circumvent his company network protocols or restrictions put on his system by a Network Administrator. Again we have no ability to assess the user's intent.
I am very sorry, but I can't continue helping you with this. If you feel that this is unfair; feel free to address a PM regarding this thread to the manager of the Microsoft Support section of this forum, which is Geekgirl!

Closed Thread