Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

How can I change Adobe Flash settings?

This is a discussion on How can I change Adobe Flash settings? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Can someone tell me how to change the settings on the Adobe Flash Player? I've seen the pop-up before and

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Can someone tell me how to change the settings on the Adobe Flash Player?
I've seen the pop-up before and under normal circumstances I'd be able to
click the 'Allow' or 'Deny' button BUT, I'm seeing the pop-up when my
screensaver comes on. Of course, as soon as I bump the mouse, the
screensaver disappears, as does the pop-up.
I've attached a screen pic of the screensaver in action with the pop-up showing so you'd see what I mean.
I tried looking for the Flash Player under the Adobe programs tab, but it's
not listed there. Where else can I go to change the settings to 'allow' my
screensavers?
Thank you...

Mel Anne [;}]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adobe Flash Settings.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	9172  

Old 11-12-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
Registered Member

Question

Nobody knows how I can change the settings? The pic I attached shows what happens when the screensaver comes on. As I stated in the original post, there's no way I can click 'Allow' without the screensaver going off, so I have to change the settings from the player itself, right? Why can't I find it anywhere on my computer? If I'm getting these messages, I must have it installed, right? I think I even tried reinstalling it, hoping I'd then have the chance to change the settings from there -- but I can't swear to it. I don't know what else to try. Any ideas? Anybody?

SBernheart [;}]

Maybe someone could suggest a different forum where this kind of thing would be better served? Thanks!

Old 11-13-2006, 01:20 AM   #3
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to chauffeur2
Hi again Karen,

I would suggest to just click 'allow', and let it automatically adjust it for you.

If it works, Don't fix it!
Especially if Microsoft made it!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
"....under normal circumstances I'd be able to
click the 'Allow' or 'Deny' button BUT, I'm seeing the pop-up when my
screensaver comes on. Of course, as soon as I bump the mouse, the
screensaver disappears, as does the pop-up."
Normally, that's what I'd do, but I guess the real question would be -- is there some way of clicking the 'Allow' button without the equivilent of moving a mouse or a key or whatever that makes the screensaver disappear taking the pop-up with it? See the problem?
BTW, I'm working on the AntiVirus and the AntiSpyware programs you looked up for me. One of them is scanning as we spea...I mean type! I tried the backup program, but there was a problem when my husband used the computer after I went to bed, so I'll have to get back to you, Dave, when all is said and done.
I really appreciate the replies. Sometimes I can go for days stuck on something and my husband will tell me I should ask somebody about whatever, but I just try my best and that's all I can do. Thanks again and I'll be back.........

SBernheart [;}]
Old 11-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to chauffeur2
Hello Karen,

It sounds [and looks] as if the screesaver is in 'Preview' mode, going by the way it disappears when you move the mouse.
How often does this occur is one interesting question, that needs answering.
The other thing would be, as you have already started to investigate "The 5 Steps"; perhaps it would not be such a bad idea if you were to follow through with lodging a HJT log file in the HJT Forum and let one of the trained analysts review it for you.
When you do lodge the log file; please be patient with them in the HJT Forum, as they are usually very busy.
My suggestion would be to wait, say, 48 hours; and, if you have not received a response in this time, go back to the thread and type "bump"...this will then push you back to the first page, and back to getting attention from one of the crew there.
Good Luck, and I sincerely hope that they find a solution for you.
Have a Great Day!

If it works, Don't fix it!
Especially if Microsoft made it!
Old 11-13-2006, 11:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

I stayed up late again last night -- I do my best work when I can think by myself without distraction, you know? Unfortunately, we had a death in the family early this morning and instead of going to bed, I left with my husband to take care of things. There'll be no staying up late tonight. As for the next few days, I doubt I'll get a whole lotta computer time, but I will be peeking from time to time.
And now for your questions:
Quote:
How often does this occur?
Well, I can only speak for my own screensaver which comes on after about 10 mintes of idle time and remains on until there's mouse or key movement. Isn't that the way most screensavers work? You implied that "the screesaver is in 'Preview' mode" and if I understand what you're saying, I do know that, for example, if you go to the Screen Saver tab in Display Properties, you do get a 'Preview' version of the screensaver you wish to use. I'm talking about after 10 minutes has gone by and my screensaver comes on. If there's 'motion' within the screensaver itself, like a waterfall, the pop-up for Adobe comes up right in the middle of the screen requesting the 'Allow' or 'Deny' of it's action. If you move the mouse or if you touch a key, the screensaver (mine anyway) goes off immediately which also means I can't answer the pop-up. That's why I was requesting help with changing the settings on the flash player manually, for a lack of a better term, because it's like chasing your shadow -- you can never click the 'Allow' button from the screensaver while it's working because whenever you move anything, mouse or keyboard, the screensaver is disabled once again without changing the settings.
It doesn't come on with every screensaver, just the ones that require the flash player. My screensaver is set to select random choices and I like it that way -- always something different! Surely there's a way around this screensaver issue, I'd really like to keep the screensavers!
Gotta go now. It's 2:15AM -- so much for going to bed early! But, Dave, I will be going over "The 5 Steps" again and I will gather up the information you mentioned. Give me a couple days, in case I don't get right back to you or one of the other forums, I will post before the end of the week, OK? Thanks, again, no one appreciates the help more.........

SBernheart
Old 11-18-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
Registered Member

Idea

Well, well, well! How dumb am I? Don't bother -- rhetorical! Here's what happened....
I had the screensaver set to randomly choose which one was applied each time it came on. I found one I liked a little more than the others so I opened the program containing them (Magentic, if anyone cares) to find that particular one to set it as the only one, for now anyway. Guess what I found? The one I chose was one of the ones that required the Flash settings changed. When I clicked it and tried to save it, well, the attachment says it all. There was my chance to click 'Allow' without the damn thing disappearing on me! Why didn't I think of this before? It never occurred to me to check the screensaver program directly. I mean, early on when I first decided on the random view I set the options, but there was nothing about flash settings. Why would I think otherwise then?
Anywho, when I went back to change my screensaver, the Adobe Flash Player settings pop-up window appeared on top of it. Obviously, I clicked 'Allow' and, so far, no more pesky little pop-ups right smack in the middle of my screen!!
Thanks for trying guys. Sometimes 'dumb' luck is what we really need! Worked for me!! Case closed. LOL LOL Next I'm working on Live OneCare and why it doesn't work for me. I have a thread posted at: http://www.techsupportforum.com/f210/live-onecare-fails-because-125786.html
Chauffeur2's been working with me on that one and came up with a lot of great stuff, so those of you with any questions on the subject, or most others for that matter, should check out his posts. The only reason I'm still playing around with OneCare is because Microsoft sent me another email trying to resolve the problem, so I reinstalled it and tried what they suggested. I was told to setup an account using a new login. It didn't work either, so I'm back to trying 'Snap Backup' as suggested in that thread I mentioned. I installed it a few days ago, but family matters held things back for a few days. Now I'll finish what I started last weekend. Till next time....

Mel Anne [;}]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adobe Flash Settings II.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	9260