Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

High CPU After Reformat

This is a discussion on High CPU After Reformat within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm not a genius at computers, but I'm okay. I have reformatted my computer about 2 hours ago and I'm

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm not a genius at computers, but I'm okay. I have reformatted my computer about 2 hours ago and I'm getting very high CPU. I had this before the reformat so I decided to reformat thinking it would work. After the reformat, I installed WSP 3 correctly and all the necessary drivers for my computer (Dell Dimension E521) I have absolutely no games installed at all. Please help . [:

Old 08-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

OS: W7 Pro, W7 Ultimate, Vista Ultimate, Windows XP Pro, Linux (Ubuntu)

My System

Send a message via Yahoo to Michael_Larsen

Hi Damian. Welcome to TSF!

Sounds like your hard drive is bad. You could go to the Dell site HERE and under the SATA DRIVES section you'll see a number of drivers for various hard drives found in the E521 model. You might try downloading the current file there for the hard drive type you have. There are also some diagnostics applications as well.

Sometimes this is also caused by faulty hardware. How many peripherals do you have plugged in? Are you using a video card or just legacy video from the motherboard? I've also seen bad mice and bad keyboards cause the high CPU problem. Bad hardware can cause what is called an "interrupt storm" and you'll see your CPU running near or at 100% constantly.

Good day!

Mike

Old 08-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Press F12 at bootup and run the Dell Diagnostics.
Run Process Explorer to see what program is using the highest amount of CPU.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
Registered Member

Darn. I tried tried all of your guy's suggestions, but none of them worked. Thanks for the help anyways. Sigh ]:
Old 08-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Run Process Explorer to see what program is using the highest amount of CPU.
Did you install Process Explorer Run it? What program is using the most CPU? you can suspend or kill the process or Google the name if you don't know what it does.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
Registered Member

System Idle Process is using 70-100 CPU (Changes every half second or so.)
The next highest is Chrome.exe which is using about 10-50 when a page is loading. As I am typing this, it is at 1-5 CPU. This information help?
Old 08-06-2011, 02:07 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

System Idle will always be high when the system is idle (get it, the CPU is 70-100 % idle, Free, or not being used) And Chrome is using the right amount of CPU for loading as browser use a lot when loading then settle down when surfing.
So what is this about high CPU usage?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Registered Member

Before I reformatted my computer, I was playing this game called MapleStory. It's a really simple game and doesn't require a good computer. I was playing it then suddenly it made my computer reach 100% CPU. It was really laggy. I reformatted it because I thought it was my computer, and it was.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Run Process Explorer when playing the game to see what is causing the CPU spike
Old 08-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #10
Registered Member

Sorry but I do not know how to see what is causing the CPU spike.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

In process explorer look at the CPU column take note of the CPU Usage that is the highest (other then system idle process, of which we already discussed) Just next to that is the driver or program that is spiking the CPU.
Just wondering, if you don't know how to see what is causing high CPU then why did you title the subject of your Thread High CPU?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
Registered Member

Oh. Sorry. I didn't understand your post at first. The actual game itself is causing the spikes. (MapleStory.exe)