Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help with rasman.dll error

21K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  nickster_uk 
#1 ·
I currently had a disc check occur after I rebooted my computer, and upon startup, many programs (for instance, Yahoo Messenger, Trillian, Adobe Acrobat Reader, etc.) Started giving me the following error.

"This application has failed to start because rasman.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

I did a search, and rasman.dll is indeed there. It's at C:\WINDOWS\System32.
Moreover, the program inevitably starts up and runs perfectly after giving me the above error somewhere between 3 and 5 times. It's getting very frustrating and I'm growing very tired of teh alert chime that windows sounds in sync with that message. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
First, back up the rasman.dll file (either copy to a different folder or rar/zip in it's current location). Once done, delete or rename the original rasman.dll then try loading your programs.

The file itself is linked to remote assistance but can also be helpful for attackers to steal your data.

Hope that helps :)

#4 ·
Whosdat - No, I have not uninstalled anything recently. I also looked at the article in the link, and tried backing up and deleting the file specified. It gave me a very interesting problem, and the same one I have when I try and backup and delete rasman.dll. I back up the file, delete it, and about 5 seconds later, a new copy of the file appears in its place. Quite startling.

Nickster_uk - As I said above, when I attempt to backup and delete this file, another copy appears in its place. I was baffled by this, because all the fixes I researched before coming here said to delete rasman.dll and the file mentioned in Whosdat's link.

Thank you guys for your speedy replies, by the way.
I'm getting quite frustrated and it's great to have help =)
-Acumen

#6 ·
Nickster_uk - I am taking your advice and downloading litepc right now.

To answer your question, no I do not use RAS at all to my knowledge. I am perpetually connected to a broabdand network and thus (unless I'm mistaken) don't really need RAS.

How exactly woudl I disable it? I can locate services.msc, however looking at remote access auto connection manager and remote access connection manager, I'm not sure what to do next.
Thank you for your continuing help!

#8 ·
#9 ·
Well, I looked into disabling WFP, as well as disabling the 2 services in services.msc that looked relevant. (remote access random connection manager and remote access connection manager, I think) and now, when I try and delete rasapi32.dll and rasman.dll, I get the "the file could not be deleted, please make sure that the disk is not full or write protected, and that the file is not in use."

I'm starting to feel like I'm staring a fresh windows install in the face, which is a feeling I don't like. Only been running this windows install for about 10 months -.- Any more help would fabulous, if anyone has some insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.