Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HELP! Problems with additional HD in XP

773 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Last year, I got a bad virus on my pc & had to get it worked on. Not sure what the idiot guy did but when I got my pc back, he had unplugged the 2nd HD I had installed & forgot to plug it back up. He told me it was as simple as sticking the ribbon cable back in. I tried this and now when I boot up, I get "file record segment XXXX is unreadable". He never would repair it and Ive given up getting him to fix it but now I need to know how to get that data off of that HD if possible. I have a new pc now so I can transfer it over IF I could get it to read. I remember when I had the 2nd HD installed, it wasnt an easy process so now IM wondering what, if anything I can do to get it to read it without erasing the data. If someone can tell me what to do I would appreciate it. Thank you.

#2 ·
It sounds like some of the data on the drive is corrupted but you may be able to recover some data if the drive is functioning. Since you said it uses a ribbon cable I'll assume it's PATA drive.

One method would be to get an external enclosure and just plug it in via USB or ESATA. If you want to try to install it into the new machine you'll need to check and see what , if any, available connections there are inside the PC. Newer PC's usually use SATA drives and connections so you may have an issue installing it internally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.