Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

View Poll Results: When will we see an upturn in the US Economy?
After the November general election. 0 0%
4th Quarter of this year. 0 0%
1st Quarter of 2009. 0 0%
Gradually, but it will get worse before it gets better. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

HELP? I've been LOCKED OUT of my PC!

This is a discussion on HELP? I've been LOCKED OUT of my PC! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm running Windows XP Media Center (SP3) and IE7. I have only one USER on my PC, with Admin. Privileges.

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I'm running Windows XP Media Center (SP3) and IE7. I have only one USER on my PC, with Admin. Privileges. Recent crashes of IE 7 - for unknown reasons - caused me to disable add-on's and then see if the problem continued. They did. So, I then attempted to access Internet options under the tools menu so I could delete old files, or even reset IE7 to defaults. When attempting to access these controls, I'm greeted with an access violation message informing me that I don't have access to these controls, and I need to contact my sys. admin. Well, he and I are both in trouble since we're one in the same and have no clue how to get around this restriction. I've checked my user account to ensure it does indeed have admin. privileges. I then attempted to access the internet options through the control panel, but XP simply locks-up when I do that. Evidently, something is working really hard to make sure I can't access those settings. Read on another forum that I may have inadvertantly caused problems with IE7 by installing XP SP3 "on top" of it. The article indicated IE7 should have been uninstalled prior to installing SP3, then reinstalled afterwards. Well, its too late to do that NOW. Thanks, Microsoft. Anyway, if any of you good folks have a possible solution to my problem, I'd really appreciate hearing it.

Thanks !

Old 09-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Hi CalicoSilver and welcome to TSF !

I closed your poll since it's in no way related to your issue. We have a political discussions forum for such things.

Start in safe mode (press F8 at startup) and log as "administrator" (leave the password field blank if you didn't set any for the default admin account), do you still get the access denied message there ?

The solution could be to uninstall SP3, uninstall IE7 and reinstall SP3 :
You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3

Old 09-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

Appreciate your response. As a follow up, I've managed to solve my problems by uninstalling SP3, uninstalling IE7, then reinstalling SP3, then IE7 on top of it. System is back up and running even faster than it did when it was new. IE7 had degraded to the point that not only wasn't I able to access basic internet settings (regardless of the method I attempted) to include booting in safe mode. Somehow the poisinous combination of SP3 overlayed "on top" of IE7 had corrupted most of my .msi files as well. Fortunately, I had another machine to use to obtain SP3 and IE7, as mine was too corrupted to even attempt a file download. Anyway, now all I have to worry about are the 4 "other" systems on which I installed SP3 after IE7. The insidious nature of this particular problem is that you never know WHEN it's going to result in a meltdown. I'm thinking I'll just wait and see of the other machines develop similar problems BEFORE enduring another WINXP wrestling match! Thanks again for your thoughts.