Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help I'm new to this

2K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hello
I have a Compaq Presario sl1417cl that I got from a friend. It had the expired trial version of windows 7. I tried to erase it and upgrade to win 8 somewhere in the mix something went wrong. Now all my computer is doing is booting up into windows xp recovery console. it gives me 3 options
1. D:\MiniNT
2. D:\I386
3. c:\windows

when I select option 3 it ask for admin password. Again that I don't have. So I'm stuck here. I don't have any recovery cd's and I don't have a password. Also I tried to use the recovery disk for Arcdc that suppose to work like a recovery disk. When I insert that disk and restart it just goes to black screen with a blinking cursor. Someone please help!!!

#3 ·
I tried to erase it and upgrade to win 8
How did you Erase Windows?
If you booted off of the Windows Disc or USB, in the Setup/Install of Windows you could choose to Format (erase) the Windows Partition, or you could Delete all partitions and just create one large one, and Format NTFS. Then install Windows 8

#6 ·
Do you have a Windows DVD? If so, restart the computer with the disc in. Boot into Setup (Bios) usually by pressing F2. Here go to Boot Priorities. Using your Arrow Key and your Enter key move CD/DVD rom drive to First Boot Device. Save and Exit. You may be able to do this by pressing F12 at bootup for a one time boot.
when the computer starts with the bootable disc in, you should see the message Press Any Key To Boot CD/DVD. Now you are booting from the CD/DVD. Follow the directions from this link: Clean Install - Windows 8

#10 ·
We need a lot more information. Where did you get the Windows 8 CD? As stated, Microsoft Windows 8 comes on DVD and will not fit on a CD.
Is this a Retail disc of Windows 8? Or is it an OEM Recovery CD with Windows 8? Is it an ISO file that you downloaded? If so, again, this would be a DVD? Does your computer have a DVD player? Or is it just a CD, CDRW?
Is Windows 8 a bootable Disc? Try this Windows disc on another computer. Does it boot that computer? If not, then it is not a bootable disc.The ARCDC is a bootable disc, but it only provides the Recovery Console to repair Windows XP, it does not have the Windows XP OS to install it.
To reinstall Windows, you need a Bootable Windows disc.

#11 ·
I bought the windows 8 upgrade from Microsoft as a download and I it on a cd. It was booting from the cd at first until I screwed it up trying to delete the windows 7. When I got it from the friend it was verrrrry slow n it had the expired trial version but also I couldn't go back to xp because it was password protected and she forgot the password. So I tried to install the 8 it was saying not enough space I added ram it would boot but wouldn't finish the install I forgot the message then one day I powered it up and the recovery console is all I keep getting. It shows the options that are in post 1 and I can't log into windows because no password. Now when I install the windows 8 it doesn't boot up.

#12 · (Edited)
I tried to install the 8 it was saying not enough space
That means your not Formatting (erasing) the partition. You are adding Windows to an existing Windows install, so there is no longer any space on the HDD. And, you haven't deleted anything either, except the boot file.
If you can't boot from the CD, remove the HDD from the computer and attach it to a working computer via a USB Adapter or by putting it into a USB Enclosure with a power adapter. Go into Disk Management and it will show the now External Drive, and all of it's partitions, then you can right click each partition and delete all of the them, so that the whole drive is Unallocated Space. Put the HDD back into the computer and boot off of the Windows CD and then choose Install, Windows disc will automatically partition and format the drive as it installs Windows.

#15 ·
That means you not booting from the Windows CD.
I'm still unclear what OS you are trying to install and how you are trying to install it.
Boot into Setup (Bios) go to Boot Priority, if booting from a CD or DVD move the CD/DVD drive to First Boot Device. Save and Exit. Put the Windows disc in the drive and restart the computer. You should see the message Press Any Key to Boot From CD/DVD. If not, then try the disc on another computer. If it doesn't boot that computer, then it's not a bootable CD/DVD.

#16 ·
I did that as well it keeps saying boot system fail. I even downloaded the windows 8 onto the DVD and tried it the same result. Is there a way I can just install it on the hard drive like thru the USB ex.. Like I used USB to delete the partitions ?

#17 ·
try the disc on another computer. If it doesn't boot that computer, then it's not a bootable CD/DVD.
Either your Windows 8 CD/DVD is not a bootable CD/DVD or your CD/DVD drive is not reading it. Test the disc on another computer. If you have a bootable Windows 8 ISO image, you can burn the image to DVD using IMGBurn in my signature. Or you can burn it to a USB Flash drive using the Microsoft Tool Microsoft Store

#19 ·
If you don't have an OS on the HDD you are trying to install to, you cannot use an Upgrade CD. You have to have Windows in some form or another on that HDD to Upgrade it.
If you have Windows currently on the HDD, you could download the Windows 8 Upgrade and save it to another computer then burn it to DVD or USB. You need a Windows .ISO file then you can burn to DVD or USB using the instructions in post #17

#25 ·
Second channel device 0 tsstcorpcd/DVD
If you are in Boot or Boot Priorities of the Bios, the Samsung HDD is currently the First Boot Device. Using your Enter key and Arrow key you would select the tsstcoprcd/DVD and move it to First position. Save and Exit. Put the Disc in and restart. You should see the message Press Any Key To Boot From CD/DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.