Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Help fix Windows start-up pop-up window.

This is a discussion on Help fix Windows start-up pop-up window. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This is a very weird pop-up window. Let me clarify the order: After I turn on my laptop, this is

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

This is a very weird pop-up window. Let me clarify the order:
After I turn on my laptop, this is what happens:
1) "Windows Boot" screen come up normally.
2) "Wndows is starting up" screen comes up normaly.
3) Instead of the "Welcome" screen comming up next, there is a pop-up window which comes up before it.

This window's title is always a different title with the name of a location(C://... ; and its usually .../system32/..., I think). Inside this pop-up window are square charaters(usually two square characters). It is square because my system cannot read that type of character(I think thats why the are square characters). So to get passed it to reach the "Welcome" screen, I must click "OK". After I click "OK", the "Welcome" window comes up, and then everything is ok as I am on my "desktop screen".
Please help me fix this error so my computer can start up normaly without this weird pop-up window.

Thankyou for your time ans support.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:26 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Hi brjesusfreak and welcome to TSF !

I've no direct clue, maybe another tech will have. Try to give us the exact names of the files you get the error about (the part following system32\).

Run the event viewer and tell us if you find any errors corresponding at the times you get that popup at startup. Go to start => run and type eventvwr.msc /s. Check the different sections in the left pane and report if you find errors in the right pane.

Also go to the device manager and check you have no yellow warning signs there : right-click on my computer => properties => hardware => device manager. In the view menu, enable "show hidden devices".

Old 05-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Registered Member

I believe I am having the same problem. Windows boots up and gets to the user login screen. After entering the password it appears to load like normal until this pops up...

(I had to recreate this image since i can't screen capture at this point)

The message changes every time but not far off from that message. I ran my virus and spyware programs and they found nothing. Now, I see no difference in performance but a random pop-up screen on start up can't be a good sign, I assume.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have tried every possible way of fixing that, and the only method that worked was erasing my entire hard drive and re-installing my OS. If you want to do the same, remember to back up your programs and files or you'll lose everything.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Can you access the task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+del ? See if you can find and end the related process.

If you can't access the task manager then try starting in safe mode (repeatedly press F8 when the computer starts) or loading the last known good configuration, if you can boot into Windows you can do some research to find what program does this and uninstall it. If you can't boot into Windows at all then a reinstall will be in order.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi Everyone,

brjesusfreak, can you expand on "tried every possible way of fixing that". It sounds like something that is fixable. Just happens before desktop control is established, like in the msconfig section, or boot.ini.

Regards,
Mack1

Old 05-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Can you access the task manager by if you can boot into Windows you can do some research to find what program does this and uninstall it. If you can't boot into Windows at all then a reinstall will be in order.
Once I press "ok" it continues to load like normal. So I have full access to windows. How can I find out what program is causing this?
Old 05-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
Registered Member

What caused that problem on my computer was when I installed and used "iolo's System Mechanic". I have tried editing my registry manually and using programs that fixes error. None of this worked. I e-mailed them, I can't remember their response on how to solve this issue, but it didn't solve it either. I tried manually deleting any registry and file that had to do with "System Mechanic", but it didn't work. So I erased my whole hard drive and re-installed my OS and my programs. That sure fixed the problem and my pc was brand new!
Old 05-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Press ctrl+alt+del when you see that box and see if you can access the task manager. If so then go to the processes tab, write down the names of all the running processes and report them here. You can try to end the processes one at a time and see if you can find the culprit but you'd better make a google search with the list so that you don't end critical processes.

Since when does that problem happen ? have you installed new programs recently ? Try to restore your system to a date before the problem started : start => all programs => accessories => system tools => system restore.

Go to start => run and type msconfig. Go to the startup tab and check each item you'll see on this database to see what it does. Uncheck the ones that could be related to your problem and the ones you don't need. Go to the services tab, check the "hide all microsoft services" box at the bottom and untick the ones you don't need (google with the names if you're unsure). Next time you'll restart the computer - and each time you'll make changes in msconfig - you'll get a popup about Windows being in selective mode. Tick the box and click ok so that it doesn't bother you again.

Also check the start => all programs => startup menu, if you move a shortcut away from that folder (cut/paste it elsewhere in case you need it later) it won't be loaded at startup anymore.

See if the popup also comes in safe mode : repeatedly press F8 when the computer starts and choose safe mode in the menu that will appear.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #10
Registered Member

can not press ctrl-alt-del while the box is showing. It still pops up in safe mode. I also checked all my startup processes and all are legit programs.

Before the popup would come up after the user on the computer types in their password and it begins to load (as shown in the picture above). But now, for whatever reason, it pops up before you reach the user's select screen and it has a black background.

As far as how long this has been going on, about a month or so. I know i didn't install or download anything new out of the ordinary, nor did i use any computer cleanup programs like brjesusfreak has mentioned.

Also, this may or may not be related but one (and only one so far) of the users on this PC have had problems with their desktop (missing icons, also bookmarks deleted in browser) since this popup started (in fact they were the first to see the popup).

Again, I see no difference in the performance which is why i waited a month to investigate this further. Anyway, I thank you for your time in trying to help me.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi Duderman

Download and install "autoruns". It will let you see everything that is running on your machine and allow you to selectively turn on/off each item using check boxes. You might find the culprit that way.

I looked and don't have the url, but it is easy to find on the net.

Hope it works for you.
Mack1

Old 05-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #12
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Take mack1's good advice. Autoruns : http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../AutoRuns.mspx. And this site will tell you what each item does and if it's any good : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/.

If that doesn't help then you may want to check the system for malwares : http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html
Old 10-02-2008, 06:13 AM   #13
Registered Member

Open:
"START>Control Panel> Administrative Tools>Local Security Policy>Local Policies>Security Options>"
*Interactive logon: Message text for users attempting to log on
- double click and if its empty click OK, if not delete all and click OK. If before value was "Not defined", then now it should be empty.

*Interactive logon: Message title for users attempting to log on
- double click and if its empty click OK, if not delete all and click OK. If before value was "Not defined", then now it should be empty.

Restart computer. This should help.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #14
Registered Member

Hey,

I know I am a bit late in posting but i had the same problem but mine was resolved, this is for the benefit of others.

First: You have to go toHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
on your computer.

(To get there go to "run" and type in "regedit", and keep on browsing through till you find winlogon)

Second: When you get there, look under the keys LegalNoticeCaption and LegalNoticeText

Right click on them individually and click "Modify". There should be no "Value Data" if is some text just delete it.

Hopefully that should fix your popup problem Good Luck.