Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Hardwire laptop to get internet

This is a discussion on Hardwire laptop to get internet within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell 6000 I had to format. I can't get online, apparently the drivers to get online are

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Dell 6000 I had to format. I can't get online, apparently the drivers to get online are not loaded. Tried to download them to another PC then load to the laptop but I'm having trouble. Is there a way to hookup the laptop directly to the modem or router and download directly to the laptop?

Old 06-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

All you need is a Cat5 cable to do so. Your laptop should have an RJ45 jack for a Cat5 cable unless it's really, really old.

This assumes that the reinstall installed the NIC drivers for you. If not, you need to download them to install from another computer, as you tried with the wireless.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

It has those jacks and I have the cable. Does the cable goes from the laptop to the router or modem? What are the NIC drivers and how do I know if they're installed? When I tried downloading from another PC I downloaded to a memory stick and then tried to install to the laptop from that.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

It should be fine going to the router.

NIC drivers are the drivers for your network adapter card in the laptop (Network Interface Card). When the computer has all it's drivers, you will see two devices, at least, under Network in the Device Manager. One is for the Wireless network card and one for the Wired.

To get to the Device Manager, right click on My Computer and select Properties. Go to the Hardware tab and click on the Device Manager button.

What happened when you tried to install it? Any error messages? Sometimes it works better to copy it to the desktop rather than running it from a memory stick.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the help.
Tried going to the router and modem , no good. Can't download to the desktop of the laptop because I can't get online, that's why I had to use a memory stick. I can unzip from the stick but when I try to load the driver I get " unable to continue, please upgrade MSI support to windows installer 3.1 or later". In device manager I have under "network adapters" 1394 net adapter. It says the driver is good. Under "other devices" there is,
ethernet controller
audio controller
network controller
pci device
pci modem
sm controller
video controller
All of these have a yellow question mark.
Thanks again!!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

What type of disk did you use to reinstall the system? Where did you get it?
Old 06-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

On an Internet computer, download the Chipset, and Broadcom Network drivers with the yellow marks in Device Manager at the Dell site. Save them to a USB flash Drive and install them on the troubled computer. Once you have internet, go back to the Dell site on this computer and download the rest of the drivers you need directly to this computer.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:36 AM   #8
Registered Member

Daifne- It's the windows xp re-installation disc that came with the PC.

SF-Thats what I've been trying to do but it says I need to upgrade windows installer.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:51 AM   #9
CCT
Helper

Are you accessing the Dell site with your Service tag # to get the drivers specific to your computer as bought?

You can also download the Windows Installer from here and install it first: Download details: Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable