Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Hard-disk drive failure and diskette drive 0 seek failure

This is a discussion on Hard-disk drive failure and diskette drive 0 seek failure within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all, newbie here, someone can help me out :). My desktop sudden won't turn on then I replace the

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hello all,

newbie here, someone can help me out :). My desktop sudden won't turn on then I replace the power supply and power is back on however i see this message when screen boot up.

"Hard-disk drive failure
Diskette driver 0 seek failure"

press f1 to continue and f2 to enter SETUP. If i press F1 go back to the message above.

Dell Inspiron 530s desktop, window xp

many thanks

Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

If you've verified that all devices are plugged in to power and the correct cable (ie floppy cable for floppy and ide/sata for HD), then it's possible that the power supply failing could have damaged the circuitry on the drives.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #3

The error "DISKETTE Drive 0 Seek Failure" is referring to the FLOPPY drive 0 (or A:) and you should turn it 'off'.
I believe that you don't use any floppy drive (Due to a kind of old storage medium), so you may have to disable it right away by going to BIOS setup screen and see if the POST error goes away.

Let us know your progress.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
Hard-disk drive failure Diskette driver 0 seek failure
As ajms1989 said, press F2 at bootup to enter Setup (Bios) Here first find Floppy Drive and Disable it. Then under the General heading. Does it show the HDD (it should be listed by manufacturer)? If not, then it is either unplugged, or it has failed.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi All

Thanks for replied;

I don't have floppy drive so i think i turn it off. i set the boot sequences the following

1. hard disk
2. cd rom
3. disable
4. disable..

I double check all the cables and everything is looking good. When I changed the power supply i remove the hard drive..possible the motherboard didn't recognize the hard drive? if yes how do i set it?

i also set "loading from the default" factory setting for start up and still got the same errors message.

many thanks in advance

Tom
Old 07-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You may not have a floppy drive in the computer, but in the Bios, under Peripherals you may have a setting for Floppy Seek, which if enabled, will give you that error. So you must Disable it.
Check the wiring to the HDD. Make sure the power plug is plugged in and the SATA Cable is plugged in tightly, also make sure the SATA cable is plugged into the motherboard (the motherboard should be labeled SATA Port 0, Port 1 etc) In the Bios make sure that SATA port the HDD is plugged into is Enabled. In the Bios on The very first page or heading in the Bios, it lists all of the drives in the computer (not Boot Priority) If your HDD isn't listed, here, it's either not plugged in or it has failed.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Registered Member

Hello,

How do i disable the floppy seek? let asumme i did everything correctly I plug the cable, all cable is tight but the motherboard didn't find the hard drive. so the hard drive is fail? is there anyway i can get my information from the hard drive? can i plug the hard drive into other computer to get all my information i need?

Also i already bought motherboard and power supply for the same model, if i change the motherboard any help?

last but not least what can i do to get my information from the disk?

thanks in advance
Old 07-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
in the Bios, under Peripherals you may have a setting for Floppy Seek, which if enabled, will give you that error. So you must Disable it.
As stated, in the Bios, under peripherals, or under the General heading, if you have Floppy Seek, use your arrow and Enter key to Disable it.
If your HDD is not listed then it has failed. If the drive is not recognized by the Bios, you cannot access the data on it. You can test this theory by removing the HDD from the computer and either attaching it internally to another Desktop computer, Via a USB Adapter or by putting it into a USB Enclosure with a power adapter. If the drive doesn't spin up, then it has failed and needs to be replaced.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #9

Agree with spunk.funk.. You can't access the data from failing HDD as well as which is not recognized in the BIOS. Though, I've Found a good tutorial on Segate website:
The BIOS does not detect or recognize the ATA / SATA hard drive

Perhaps, You can try this to save your data back, otherwise it has gone permanently.

Good Luck!!