Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

hal.dll error and Windows XP installer on flash drive for Acer Aspire One

This is a discussion on hal.dll error and Windows XP installer on flash drive for Acer Aspire One within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When i turned on my Acer Aspire One ZG5 it shows an error saying that Windows\System32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt: Please

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

When i turned on my Acer Aspire One ZG5 it shows an error saying that

Quote:
Windows\System32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt:

Please re-install a copy of the above file.
Then i cannot logon to windows.

So what i did, tried to look for a solution and found Acer Recovery using USB flash drive (I don't have CD/DVD drive). But i don't think it would be the solution, because i THINK it would delete all my files, am i correct? Or do i have an option?

So i went to look for another then i found this http://sincitylife.net/xpthumbdrive.aspx

and yes, it boots on my aspire one. Then I went to the recovery console, to follow these instructions on another site:

Quote:
When you reach the command line prompt(recovery console), type the following and then press Enter:

expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll

Using the expand command as shown above, d represents the drive letter assigned to the optical drive that your Windows XP CD is currently in. While this is most often d, your system could assign a different letter. Also, c:\windows represents the drive and folder that Windows XP is currently installed on. Again, this is most often the case but your system could be different.

If you're prompted to overwrite the file, press Y.

Take out the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your PC.

Assuming that a missing or corrupt hal.dll file was your only issue, Windows XP should now start normally.

But the problem is, i don't know what drive letter is my USB on, but i think the drive where windows is on is C: because the command line is showing "C:\WINDOWS\". I tried from D: to K: and it just says path is not valid.

So i resorted to using this solution for it might fix it:

Quote:
se the Bootcfg utility in the Recovery Console to correct the Boot.ini file:

1. Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to start your computer.
2. When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
3. Select the Windows installation that you want, and then type the administrator password when prompted.
4. Type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.
5. When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
[Type Y in response to this message.]

Enter Load Identifier:
[This is the name of the operating system. Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.]

Enter OS Load options:
[Leave this field blank, and then press ENTER].
After you perform the preceding steps, restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.
...i again forgot what OS am i, but i think it was either Windows XP or Windows XP Professional. 1st thing i did was input Windows XP. then i turned off then on to restart the comp and i forgot typing "exit" to exit the recovery console. Another problem rose, and the error change, it was something like

"There is a problem with the hardware boot........." or stuff like that then I went back to recovery console thinking it really is Windows XP Professional. So i entered Windows XP Professional to Load Identifier then i ended up having to OS to choose when turning on the aspire one. But if i choose the Windows XP Professional, the error is same as the hal.dll missing or corrupt, different from Windows XP.

Help! What should i do to restore my acer without formatting it, without deleting my files! I have very important files stored in it.

Thanks in advance.