Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

giveio.sys causes lockup

This is a discussion on giveio.sys causes lockup within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am not sure if this is a fairly common problem or not but it would appear that the giveio.sys

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 01:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via AIM to agentRed Send a message via MSN to agentRed Send a message via Yahoo to agentRed

I am not sure if this is a fairly common problem or not but it would appear that the giveio.sys is causing my desktop (specs can be found in my drop-down menu) computer to fail to boot. I have run chkdsk /p and /r on the boot drive and it still will not boot. Not in safe mode, not in last known good configuration, and not in normal mode. It always hangs in safe mode right on 'giveio.sys' and then just restarts completely, throwing the computer into an endless loop of booting, and then rebooting. I have tried everything I know to try. If anyone can tell me how to remedy this situation please do so.

By the way, nothing is underpowered, overheating, or anything like that. I keep a close watch on the health of my PC. It is definitely an issue with windows.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:20 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via AIM to agentRed Send a message via MSN to agentRed Send a message via Yahoo to agentRed

Someone please help me here, I cannot seem to fix it. I've tried all the available solutions that I've seen so far and none have worked!

Old 12-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Somebody has got to know how to fix this :(
Old 01-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

AgentRed, I share your pain. My system is hanging pretty much in the same way - although not auto-rebooting, safe mode only gets as far as "giveio.sys" and then locks up.

My problem was precipitated by me (stupidly) accepting a new driver from Windows update for my "RealTek" network interface. Poking around the internet for a quick fix resulted in finding this forum (with no answer).

I suppose I could boot BartPE from a CD and embark on an exhaustive troubleshooting journey, but I am hoping to not spend several hours (or days) fixing this. My plan is to lay down a new copy of XP over the old one if I don't find a quick fix - the current install is a couple of years old, so a fresh reload might be a good thing anyway.

Good Luck.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

I resolved this issue by booting into the recovery console and renaming the program speedfan.exe to speedfan.ex_. Once booted I renamed the extension back to exe and uninstalled speedfan. You could also take the drive out and us another computer to temporarily mount it else where, as long as you can rename the executable you should be golden!

This program ran for months with no issues. I have no idea why it suddenly turn mean, but hey such is computing I guess.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

Grin

Thanks for the info James - this was so long ago, I'm trying to recall what I did - I think I just ended up rebuilding from scratch.

That certainly could have been the issue with my system as I did have speedfan installed.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:30 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_W View Post
I resolved this issue by booting into the recovery console and renaming the program speedfan.exe to speedfan.ex_. Once booted I renamed the extension back to exe and uninstalled speedfan. You could also take the drive out and us another computer to temporarily mount it else where, as long as you can rename the executable you should be golden!

This program ran for months with no issues. I have no idea why it suddenly turn mean, but hey such is computing I guess.
You're a lifesaver! I accidentally burned an Ubuntu live CD while trying to burn some obscure boot utility, and by serendipity that let me get my PC running so I could access my hard drives. I renamed that file (and I also temporarily moved the shortcut from the start menu to another folder) and it booted up in safe mode like a charm! Normal booting probably would have worked, too. I then followed your instructions in safe mode to uninstall speedfan, ignoring it's warnings about removing giveio . Now it boots again! I suppose I could probably reinstall speedfan again, and maybe I will.

Another site I read suggested downloading a new copy of that giveio file (was it giveio.sys?), backing up the one on your computer that won't load, and replacing it with the fresh one. I expect that might work in some cases, too, but a straight uninstall-->reinstall is probably the best and easiest route. Good luck to anyone else with this problem, it took me hours to fix!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Registered Member

I just had this problem of hanging on giveio.sys on a Windows XP SP2 machine when I was trying to fix it with SDFix. Removing SpeedFan worked for me as well.