Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting 'windows has encountered a problem and needs to shut down' on startup

13K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Every time i startup my computer i get the same message. Not only on startup, but when i skip that error message and click on a program, any program, i get the same error message again. I am currently using my laptop to type this. A couple or so of times after starting up the computer, i have also got a dr.watson debugger error message too.

I'm not entirely sure, but i'm pretty sure i did not download or install anything the last time the computer worked.

Anyone know why this is happening? I've writ down a few of the details of the error message below:

Appname: explorer.exe
Appver: 6.0.2900.5512
Modname:unknown
Modver: 0.0.0.0
Offset: d8000000

All help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The error is associated with Windows Explorer. Try rebooting in Safe Mode by tapping the F8 button when you see your machine name logo splash screen. Select Safe Mode login as normal and see if the same error persists.

Then with your Widnows XP CD in your Cd drive go to Run type in CMD hit enter.
At the command prompt type in then hit enter.

SFC /SCANNOW

reboot in normal mode and see if this fixes the issue if so or if not let us know.

#4 · (Edited)
Please ignore the above post (tried to edit but wouldn't allow me)

Unfortunately it won;t let me run cmd (in normal or safe mode). The only way it will run CMD is when i boot the computer with 'safe mode with CMD'

Although, when i try to run SFC in CMD it doesn;t work and i get the following message:

'Windows file protection could not initiate a scan on protected system files'

'The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable]'

Thanks again for the help.

#5 ·
Go to Start/Run and services.msc and press enter. Scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) double click it and make sure the service the Startup type is Automatic and the Service is Started. Then try SFC again.
If that fails, try this:
1. Click Start, Run. Type Regedit.exe and press ENTER.
2. Navigate to the following branch:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon
3. Double-click SFCDisable and set its Value data to 0
4. Exit the Registry Editor and restart Windows. Or run the

Registry Fix
Download sfcenable.zip and run the attached REG file. Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

#6 ·
none of that worked. i can use cmd when i choose safe mode with cmd. any other time i cant. it wont let me run sfc from cmd at all.

i cant run any explorer based programs from windows but it will let me right click and sometimes i can get into the directories thAT way.

sfcenable is set at 0

#9 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.