Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting "Insert Home Edition XP SP3"

2K views 35 replies 3 participants last post by  tutorpros 
#1 ·
This has been very frustrating to me for the last 15 hours.

I've been reading forums from here, there, and everywhere, and no one seems to address my my issue.

It seems like it is a pretty straight forward question and I hope has a simple solution.

I bought a new printer for my desktop XP. I put in HP's disk, and it started to do its thing.

Then, out of nowhere I got a wizard saying "Now please insert your floppy home edition service pack 3 or CD and press 'next'"

I have a genuine, verified, XP system, and I have had SP3 since it came out. I even double-checked, and it said that I had SP3.

On the same day, I had also bought a wireless keyboard.

Well, after installing the keyboard software, I got the same wizard asking me the same question about inserting the SP3 thing.

I just got off the phone with the place where I bought my computer, and they said that I should definitely NOT have to insert anything anywhere, regarding xp sp packs.

Alas, I am here and I will ask someone out there to possible assist me with this issue.

PLEASE!! HELPPP!!

I am either going to take xanax until pass out, return the printer and keyboard, or more likely, break everything into little pieces and/or throw them out the window.

Sincerely,
Danny.

See less See more
#11 ·
I can give you a screen shot of the wizard if you like...but it said "click 'next' after inserting the xp sp3 disk or if you choose to copy the information from the internet" or something like that.
When I chose the second option, it asked me to look for a file in my computer that the files can be copied from.
I tried i386, regedit, and some other things, but nothing has fixed the problem

#18 ·
Okay...I'm Starting To Lose it.
Whenever I try to remove a driver, it says driver is in use.
When I re-boot, I get a clear printer/fax window, and when I ask for the driver it says, spool service disabled.
I start spool service (and dependencies), and the when I go back to remove printer drivers, it says ' driver is in use."

What am I doing wrong?

#19 ·
I just re-installed the printer software, waited for it to say "plug in printer", and then I got the bad wizard again.
It says welcome to the found new hardware wizard...can windows connect to windows update to search for software? Yes or no.
I pick yes.
This is really frustrating. Whether I pick yes or no, it eventually says Wind. XP home edition special 3 CD needed."

#22 ·
Your printer is requiring a windows file from the Windows XP CD. If you do not have a Windows XP CD, see if you can borrow it or get a copy from the place that installed the OS or a friend. If you have a file called C:\i386 on your C: drive you can browse it to that directory to pick up the Windows file.

#23 ·
The company where I bought the computer says that I do not need any CD or anything like that.
As for the i386 file, you would have to walk me through finding that.
I'm staring at eleven i386 files in my c drive and one in my g. I have no idea what to do next

#25 ·
I appreciate you explaining everything to me, but I've reached my breaking point on this whole thing.
I've re-packaged the printer, keyboard and mouse, and I'm returning them. I've removed all the HP programs, all the Logitech unifying software, all the driver-update programs, all the shortcuts, everything. It's not worth it. I've spent 24 hours trying to fix this, and that's 24 hours of TV that I could have watched.
I print about 20 pages of stuff per year, so I'll just go to the library when I need to print anything.
But thanks for trying to help.

-Danny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.