Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Generic Host Process- No sound!

3K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  phaenilda 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Okay, this is officially THE most annoying problem my computer has ever thrown at me. Story begins:

The other day, my mom (Yay! Having a parent work at your college kicks *** ^_^) gave me a 200 GB Maxtor OneTouch III external USB harddrive. Woohoo. Total data capacity: 440 GB... I almost fainted.

Anyway, I plugged it in, and dumped a bunch of stuff onto the harddrive, freeing my primary IDE for more... uhm, I'm not sure but, I have more space now.

Anyway, after I restarted (which was about two or three days later...), I had some trouble playing media. CORE would give me a "Loading audio stream" message along the top, and never play the song/movie. Winamp told me that I had no audio hardware.

I went to Computer Management and lo and behold... soundcard didn't work.
I restarted. It worked! Yay, must have been a glitch.
Nope. Twenty minutes later, I had the same problem. This time when I restarted, after about 5 minutes, I got this message (that now pops up every time I turn on the computer, and always heralds the loss of sound-capacity):
"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed to close."
It's gotten to the point where I want to pick up my desk chair... and beat my tower to death, over and over and over!

Anyway, I've tried un/re-installing Maxtor drivers, unplugging the drive (it's lying on the floor now, looking at me like a hurt puppy.), I've fiddling with updates, virus scanners, dll files, everything that Google has told me to do (this is apparently a common problem), but no dice. I haven't found a similar problem on TSF, which gives me hope. This is by far the best of the forums, and I pray that my frustrating issue will quail before the combined technological might of this community. VIVA LA TSF!

Please help, I'm dying here. T_T

--
Matt

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.