Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Frozen mouse cursor

This is a discussion on Frozen mouse cursor within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I need help please! I have a Dell Latitude D610 that is running on Windows XP and something weird happened

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

I need help please! I have a Dell Latitude D610 that is running on Windows XP and something weird happened to it. A few days ago the laptop was infected by one of those antivirus 2012. I decided to restart the laptop before I tried to get rid of the virus, but after the restart the laptop's mouse cursor won't work anymore it is stuck in the middle. I have tried using 3 other external mouses but none of them have worked. The laptop still turns on, the audio still works, the wireless still works, some of the function shortcuts still work (brightness and audio), but shortcut buttons like the windows button and alt+ctrl+delete won't load up anymore either. I don't mind reinstalling windows xp and I don't mind putting in the recovery disc, but I still have a lot of files on that laptop that I would like to recover so I would prefer to just get it working again. Is there anything I could do to get the mouse working again so that I could save my files before I reinstall windows?

Old 12-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

Have you tried Windows Safe mode?

Microsoft Windows XP - Start the computer in safe mode

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

First step is to get off what matters before doing anything else and this is the easiest way.

Use Puppy Linux Live CD to Recover Your Data - Geeks to Go Forums

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have tried safe mode but to no avail and what do you mean by getting off what matters?
Old 12-18-2011, 04:52 AM   #5
- Microsoft Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenken456 View Post
what do you mean by getting off what matters?
You could boot with a Linux disc and access the data on the hard drive, then you could copy off whatever files you need to an external drive or a flash drive. Another option would just be to remove the laptop drive and use an external enclosure to connect it via USB to another system. I'd suggest scanning the drive first to be sure there's no infected files.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:15 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenken456 View Post
I have tried safe mode but to no avail and what do you mean by getting off what matters?
You said you have important files and data on the drive.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

you can try this
remove battery and adapter then hold power button for 30 sec. Then put battery back in and try then try with just the adapter.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscer1 View Post
you can try this
remove battery and adapter then hold power button for 30 sec. Then put battery back in and try then try with just the adapter.
It didn't work and I was thinking of installing ubuntu onto a cd or usb so that I could access the files on the hard drive. Would that allow me to access the files? Another question if I did the previously stated method or taking out the hard drive and turning it into a usb would I be able to access my bookmarks from firefox? I had some music that I wanted to download before I said goodbye to the laptop. :s
Old 12-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

yes, see post 5

Old 12-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek

Old 12-25-2011, 10:59 PM   #11
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

The following may be applicable to your situation.

An increasingly common malware is infecting the PS/2 keyboard/mouse driver (i8042prt.sys) and relevant registry entry. When these are removed by an antivirus or antimalware application, the use of PS/2 keyboard and mouse is lost. (For a laptop, this means use of the keyboard and touchpad is lost.) However, connecting an external keyboard and mouse via USB port(s) will allow full functionality of both keyboard and mouse. This is a temporary solution, which will enable you to effectively get the malware removed and then restore functionality to the PS/2 keyboard/mouse.

The registry entry and the infected/quarantined driver file can also be replaced using any bootable Linux CD/flashdrive to restore PS/2 keyboard/mouse functionality, if necessary.
See: i8042prt removed by Malwarebytes

You state that you have tried more than one external mouse. I assume that they were connected via USB port?
If so, I am puzzled as to why they would not have worked for you.

On the other hand, recovering copies of your important files using a LiveCD (Ubuntu, Mint, Puppy ... whatever) and then performing a re-installation of Windows may be a viable option to consider.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
Registered Member

Thank you everyone for your help! I haven't had the time to actually try out the ubuntu method, but I will as soon as I have the time and report my findings. Thank you once again :]
Old 01-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Registered Member

Blah, so I decided to go the easy way out (for me) and I bought a 2.5 inch ide to usb 2.0 hard drive enclosure and there seems to be no virus so far, but I am unable to go into any of the files within the administrator account. It keeps saying "access denied" what should I do?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

you might need to take ownership to get to the files and folders. How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

Closed Thread