Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fresh Start

858 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  BMR777 
#1 ·
Hey Guys. I'm brand new, and I have the basics and a a general knowledge and ability with computers, but My computer is kind of all over the place. I want to basically do a full clean and kind of start from scratch. I was wondering if anyone could help me do this. I want the bare essentials to start, and the things that my computer came with from school, I.E. Lotus Notes E-mail, Symantec, and a few others. How exactly do I go about this process? What kinds of things should I save? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

My Setup:

Tangent Laptop
Windows XP

#4 ·
Since you do not have the OS CD or any of the program CD's, we may not be able to get all programs back.

First thing you may want to do is look for the backup cd's or call the PC manufacturer and see if you can obtain them.

Secondly, If you can not get the CD's, try and find any serial numbers to the programs on your PC. These numbers are usually in programs like Office and the like. This number will allow you to re-install certain apps.

Third, you will want to find an OEM XP CD that will match your code. The code should be on the PC in the form of a sticker with a manufacturer name and a 25 digit code. For instance, if you have a XP Home Code, you will need an XP Home OEM CD. Home and Pro are not the same, so you will need a different CD if you have Pro.

Fourth, you will want to find re-install CD's for any programs that came with the PC. If you can't find a CD from somewhere, where is no guarantee you can get the software back. You may also try looking in a program's folder and see if there is a setup.exe or a install.exe or something like that to reinstall.

Fifth, backup anything you want to keep. This includes files, settings, programs, and the like. Keep in mind that if you do not back something up now it will be lost forever.

Let me know when you et this far and I will talk you through the rest.
BMR777

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.