Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

formatting a drive to NTFS without losing data

This is a discussion on formatting a drive to NTFS without losing data within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an almost 15GB video file that I want to put on my external 2 TB USB hard drive.

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I have an almost 15GB video file that I want to put on my external 2 TB USB hard drive. Even though is has plenty of space for me to put the file on it, it says I can't put it there because there isn't enough disc space (it is formatted with FAT32, which can have files a maximum of 4GB- this is the reason why it is)

I believe I had this same problem once before, but I don't remember how I solved it. If I reformat the drive as NTFS, I believe it will no longer be able to a hold a maximum of 2TB's of storage. The drive is FAT32 right now, maybe what I did was make it an NTFS partition then convert back to FAT32.

In any event, I need to make it an NTFS partition so I can put this file (I plan to put many more videotapes on it as well) on it. I can't transfer all of the data off the drive to reformat it because I don't have another hard drive that will hold all 668 Gigs of data I currently have on the drive. I did find this- I just want to be sure before I do it. I definitely don't want to lose everything (or ideally- anything) I have on that drive.

Quote:
stump July 2, 2003 at 17:45:06 Pacific

No big secret! Type in convert to ntfs in the help and support option on the start menu.

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt
Open Command Prompt.
In the command prompt window, type
convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format.

Notes

To open command prompt, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I would be very careful about any tips suggesting that you can convert from with file system to another. About the only one I saw work without any problems was Windows 95 going from FAT16 to FAT32.

I'm tempted to discuss the resizing of partitions, and then adding another partition to copy everything over. What you can do is shrink the FAT32 partition to as small as possible, also making sure you use a good program to defragment the partition contents to make shrinking as effective as possible. Then format the extra space with exFAT or NTFS, after you are sure which one you would like to use. Finally, with the contents copied over you just delete the FAT32 partition, and expand the NTFS partition to span the entire disk (this part... is not easy as I make it sound). I've shrunk and expanded NTFS partitions natively within Windows Vista/7, however it doesn't work behind the partition, only after it. Using a third party application to make such modifications before a partition could have consequences.

I would recommend that you find somebody else who has enough storage for you to borrow, copy over everything, format the whole thing, and copy the files back over. It would be the simplest and safest option.

I will also mention that you can use something called split archives. This is when a program like 7zip creates files that split the contents across multiple files, putting it below the file size limitation. However to access the file you may have to be patient, as you would have to either extract the file(s) to access the files, or to open from within the archive might use a fair bit of temporary storage.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft's Convert utility can change the file system but you there is always the risk of the data becoming corrupted when the conversion is taking place.

The other problem with using Convert is that it will use the original cluster size of the current file system. That is usually 512 bytes for FAT instead of the 4K that NTFS uses. This is really bad for performance especially with larger file sizes.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Just an unhelpful 2 cents from the peanut gallery -- you really want to go ahead and get another external HDD. Or, just go ahead and wipe off that 668 GB you have on the drive currently. The physical size of HDDs has been static (or DECREASING) for years, while the storage size has increased geometrically -- I have sitting here a 4.5 GB drive (it's a cute paperweight), a 40GB drive, and a 2 TB drive that are all nearly exactly the same size. That dense packing of data comes with a big price in increased heat and increased failure rates. If you only have one copy of that 668 GB, you're one small step away from saying you don't care if you lose it (or you're willing to shell out $2k for data recovery, instead of $100 for an extra drive).
Old 07-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Moderator - Microsoft Support Team

The convert command is convenient and usually works. The problem is that no such conversion is ever 100% safe. It may fail leaving you with the difficult (or expensive) task of trying to recover your files. A file system conversion should only be done when you have a complete backup of all important files. Of course you should have this anyway. Hard drives fail and data can be lost for a variety of other reasons as well. You need to be prepared when (not if) this happens.

Except by using a small number of third party utilities there is no conversion from NTFS to FAT32. NTFS is better with large volumes than FAT32 could ever be.

You really need another drive.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hey PC person...
I noticed you are using XP, which is good, look at a program called Partition Magic v. 8, you can Google it for download...it will allow you to change to NTFS from FAT32 on the fly right in the same hard drive within windows without losing any data. I've used it for many years with no problems.
also, for a quick read about what it can do, go to:
PartitionMagic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Management Team Networking

Make sure before doing any kind of conversion that you have...

backed up your data.
plenty of spare disk space

run chkdsk /r on the drive to make sure of platter and file system integrity. Usually this step is skipped resulting in errors for the conversion.

utilities have a easier time of it if the drive is also defragged before doing a conversion.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SendEveryone View Post
Hey PC person...
I noticed you are using XP, which is good, look at a program called Partition Magic v. 8, you can Google it for download...it will allow you to change to NTFS from FAT32 on the fly right in the same hard drive within windows without losing any data. I've used it for many years with no problems.
also, for a quick read about what it can do, go to:
PartitionMagic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have an old version of partition magic, not sure if I have the CD key. Are you saying now that it is freeware though? Meaning if I don't have the key I can download it for free?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC person View Post
I have an old version of partition magic, not sure if I have the CD key. Are you saying now that it is freeware though? Meaning if I don't have the key I can download it for free?
Easeus (a highly regarded company) has a freeware version similar to Partition Magic - I have never used it but it should do pretty much what you are looking to do: re-size - to NTFS from FAT32 and it looks like you can do it on the fly within windows, it may be worth looking into, if not you can find a copy of partition magic on the internet:

The Free Partition Resizer to Resize, Move FAT32, NTFS Partitions - EASEUS Data Backup, Data Recovery, Partition Manager Blog
Old 07-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #10

Partition Magic was a program originally sold by PowerQuest, later by Symantec. Symantec is no longer selling the product but they still hold the rights to it. The program is not freeware.

Partition Magic has not been updated since at least 2003 and is not compatible with Vista or later.

Unless you have a legal, purchased copy of Partition Magic you should use a program such as Euseus which is freeware.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
Partition Magic was a program originally sold by PowerQuest, later by Symantec. Symantec is no longer selling the product but they still hold the rights to it. The program is not freeware.

Partition Magic has not been updated since at least 2003 and is not compatible with Vista or later.

Unless you have a legal, purchased copy of Partition Magic you should use a program such as Euseus which is freeware.
Thanks for the history lesson LMiller7, But please note also that Partition Magic is still a wonderful Program (even if it is old - but not that old), is still available, and hard to beat.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SendEveryone View Post
Easeus (a highly regarded company) has a freeware version similar to Partition Magic - I have never used it but it should do pretty much what you are looking to do: re-size - to NTFS from FAT32 and it looks like you can do it on the fly within windows, it may be worth looking into, if not you can find a copy of partition magic on the internet:

The Free Partition Resizer to Resize, Move FAT32, NTFS Partitions - EASEUS Data Backup, Data Recovery, Partition Manager Blog
You're sure EASEUS can resize, reformat and all the wonderful things partition magic was designed to do that the destructive FDISK command couldn't? That I won't lose any data when I do these things?

I was thinking, what if I set the capture program to have my directory for storing videos I record be on the 2 TB hard drive itself? I will still have to convert in order to get this first file onto the hard drive, but from now on I can have it save the files there right after I record them. Unlike some other programs which record file, like Camtasia and Camstudio, when I pressed the stop recording button it didn't ask me where I'd like to store and what I'd like to name the file- it simply stored with it's own name (similiar to newdocument in MS word) in the default directory it was set to.

I wonder if this will run into a problem as well though, as FAT32 can't store files over 4GB's- or maybe not, there is some stuff I downloaded that is 70GB's big, BUT it is not one file, it's several.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #13

EASEUS can do everything you need, and most of the time everything goes well. But remember that failures can occur, leaving your file system in an undefined state. Recovery of files will be very difficult. For this reason it is strongly recommended that you have a backup of all important files. You may need it.

Note that this applies to all partitioning tools.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
Registered Member

I would try real hard to find a copy of Partition Magic version 8 by PowerQuest and use it to monkey with your computer. Like I said, Ive never used Easeus, partition magic will do the job, Ive done it many times with no problems. I also have used Norton's Ghost, now called Save and Restore to back out of computer repair gone bad. If You do not like Norton then give Acronis One-Click Backup a look.

Good luck PC person...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC person View Post
You're sure EASEUS can resize, reformat and all the wonderful things partition magic was designed to do that the destructive FDISK command couldn't? That I won't lose any data when I do these things?

I was thinking, what if I set the capture program to have my directory for storing videos I record be on the 2 TB hard drive itself? I will still have to convert in order to get this first file onto the hard drive, but from now on I can have it save the files there right after I record them. Unlike some other programs which record file, like Camtasia and Camstudio, when I pressed the stop recording button it didn't ask me where I'd like to store and what I'd like to name the file- it simply stored with it's own name (similiar to newdocument in MS word) in the default directory it was set to.

I wonder if this will run into a problem as well though, as FAT32 can't store files over 4GB's- or maybe not, there is some stuff I downloaded that is 70GB's big, BUT it is not one file, it's several.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Exactly the thing I was afraid of happened, I don't anymore have the serial number, guess I'll have to order another copy. I have gotten in the practice of taking a photocopy of whatever the page of the document that lists it (and putting that page in a binder) whenever I get some software/game that requires a CD key. But, I must have gotten this before I started doing so.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:00 AM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

As stated here already, Partition Magic was a wonderful program, Until Symantec bought it and let it die (not updating it for Vista or 7) Easeus Partition Manager does pretty much everything that Partition Magic did do and you don't have to worry about trying to find the product key.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
As stated here already, Partition Magic was a wonderful program, Until Symantec bought it and let it die (not updating it for Vista or 7) Easeus Partition Manager does pretty much everything that Partition Magic did do and you don't have to worry about trying to find the product key.
I may have it around, but I'll check out Easeus too. Hmm, wonder why they never released a better version of FDISK.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #18

Microsoft could have created a full featured partitioning tool as good as any commercial product. But that would have left the commercial tools without a market and that would have caused some serious legal problems. Microsoft has had considerable difficulty with that in the past.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Looks like I can't find the serial number, you're sure EASEUS is non-destructive?
Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #20
Visiting BSOD Expert
Microsoft Support Team

If it's a conversion, the only destructive forces would be a failure. However, a previous poster is correct - you are *very* likely to end up with a drive formatted with 512byte cluster sizes, which is really not good for performance under NTFS on larger drives anything larger than 1GB!!!). For a 2TB drive formatted NTFS, you will want (and ultimately need) 4K cluster sizes. It still makes sense to back up what's on the external disk, reformat NTFS with Windows, and put the data back.