Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Force xp mono sound

This is a discussion on Force xp mono sound within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have windows XP SP3 and I would like to know how to force mono sound output. My laptop is

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have windows XP SP3 and I would like to know how to force mono sound output. My laptop is rather old and has been disassembled, cleaned, "used" many times. It is pretty weathered so it was no suprise when my 3.5 mm headphone jack started flaking out and giving a dirty signal. i figured i'd open it up and solder a couple leads to it and have a little pigtail with an after market connector on it.

After that didn't work out, my firewire port did the same thing so I tryed the same technique and succeeded. However when I put it back together I forgot to plug my built in speakers back into the mother board and severed it in part of the case.

About a week ago I tried again to fix it by pushing wires over the pin contacts and super gluing them in. No luck. So the other day I tried yet again and succeeded (kinda). When I removed the super glued wires I broke off the plastic 4 pin connector. So I soldered a ribbon cable to the pads that the the connector (luckily) left behind. I get sound now but only off of two of the four wires. It's not that big of a deal when I bridged it across both channels on the external connector but it does make a difference in music and games when one channel is completely inaudible.

I checked the continuinity between the two ends of the ribbon cable and checked my solder job at the motherboard and I stil get no signal on the other two wires. So it seams my only other option would be to force true mono sound output from my laptop.

I have a gateway laptop circa 2002 with XP SP2 and my sound "card" is AMC 2 channel audio. I tried setting the advanced control panel options to mono laptop speakers to no avail. Is there some setting I'm missing or some special alternate driver I can install that has this option?

EDIT: It might be important to know that the ribbon cable is soldered on the the laptop speaker output not the pads where the 3.5mm used to be.

Thank you greatly in advance,
Techtoast