Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

force format

This is a discussion on force format within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a 2010 virus that has halted almost everything and I want to reformat to get rid of it.

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a 2010 virus that has halted almost everything and I want to reformat to get rid of it. How does a forced format work?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #2

The 2010 (is it "AV" ?) virus is pretty easy to remove.What do you mean by a "forced format" ? As far as I know, it doesn't exist. You simply format that HD and that's that. No "forcing" necessary.You format prior to reinstalling XP; it's an option offered by the Installation Disk.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

There are programs to remove the 2010 Fake AV virus. Check in with our Malware section of this forum to remove it.
NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help

But if you don't need to save any data on your computer and are dead set on formatting, then boot off of your XP CD and choose to Format the Partition and then install Windows.You may need to install Drivers in Device Manager from the computer manufacturers Support web site.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:11 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatJack View Post
The 2010 (is it "AV" ?) virus is pretty easy to remove.What do you mean by a "forced format" ? As far as I know, it doesn't exist. You simply format that HD and that's that. No "forcing" necessary.You format prior to reinstalling XP; it's an option offered by the Installation Disk.
My computer is a complete mess. Almost all the services are stopped and it won't let you format..Maybe I named it wrong but I am lost on how to fix it. It removed the internet and won'tallow anything.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:23 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
There are programs to remove the 2010 Fake AV virus. Check in with our Malware section of this forum to remove it.
NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help

But if you don't need to save any data on your computer and are dead set on formatting, then boot off of your XP CD and choose to Format the Partition and then install Windows.You may need to install Drivers in Device Manager from the computer manufacturers Support web site.
This virus has stopped all services and made it impossible to do anything. I can not format it and it doesn't follow commands
Old 09-28-2010, 05:16 AM   #6
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Boot with the XP CD, choose to install Windows. You will be given the option to delete or format the drive then. This will erase all data on the drive.

If you have files you want to recover, you can use a Ubuntu Live cd to recover them first:
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer
Version 10 looks different than the screen shots, you don't get the same boot menu. Just be sure to choose the Try option, not the Install option when asked.

Closed Thread