Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Fixing registry with Windows XP cd

This is a discussion on Fixing registry with Windows XP cd within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. yes i remenber doing this once inserting the Windows XP cd into the drive then going start menu > run

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

yes i remenber doing this once inserting the Windows XP cd into the drive then going start menu > run > and then typing in a command which opens up and says " the registry fix will start now, please insert Windows XP cd into drive"

Does anyone know the command cause i'm thinking of doing the clean

Old 02-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

no, cant say that I have ever done it that way, I have done a system repair from the CD, but that was after booting off of it. Whats wrong with your registry, did you try Microsofts regclean ?

Old 02-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

oh no i've never heard of it that way, is it just at microsoft.com? if so i'll go check it out, but if u do hear about the RUN version please tell, cause the boot with winxp cd doesn't work to well for me lol
Old 02-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
Registered Member

I dont know that it is on their site any more, just google search for microsoft regclean 4 it should be the first link. this site has a copy http://www.majorgeeks.com/download458.html , their is also another free one not made by micorosft that works well, I believe its called regcleaner I think it is also version 4
Old 02-02-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Registered Member

yeah, its good reg cleaner, but i'm still gonna look for the command i think.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Why would you want to fix your registry? What problems do you have? The registry isn't a good thing to meddle with.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Registered Member

yeah i know lol, but i've done alot of registry scans when i was a naive little boy, actually too many scans like twice a day LOL, so like i'm sure after a while it starts corruption screweing up, so i just wanna try use the winxp cd reg fix i've done it once and it does work, but it was a long time ago.

Edit: i do have 1 problem, i cant access the windows firewall (OMG what a big loss for me lol)
Old 02-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #8
Registered Member

Hi -
Microsoft's Regclean program should only be used if instructed to by a KB article or an MS support tech. It is not a fix-all by any means, and can do more harm than good.

Like Dorts says, the registry should be left alone unless there is a specific purpose.

I think the repair from CD you mentioned exists only in Win9x. You used to be able to use your emergency start disk to boot to DOS and run the "scanreg /fix" command. This command is not available in XP recovery console. I've not tried in safe mode/command prompt, but I don't think it works.

If you want to simply clean some orphaned keys, ccleaner seems to work OK. Just remember to back up your entire registry before doing anything (in regedit, select My Comuputer. Click File>Export and save the backup. Double click your backup to restore the registry) Ccleaner gives you an option to backup by default.

Hope this helps
Old 02-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #9
Registered Member

ok i guess so, and for registry scans, so should i do it montly weekly? and what are some of the good ones out there, like right now i'm using regseeker but any other good ones?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:09 PM   #10
Registered Member

Perhaps someone can enlighten us both. I really don't have any experience with any automated registry utilities, as I am quite afraid of them and have fixed many a person's computer as a result of them.

Ccleaner is the only one I have ever used... and I tested it on 4 hard drives to verify it's safety before I used it on my main computer. So it found a couple hundred issues (disassociated/orphaned keys)...

Did it make a difference in my computer's performance? Not that I can see.

Which is why, when it comes to the registry, I believe "If it's not broke, don't fix it." I only use regedit for very specific purposes, and when fighting malware on OPPCs (Other People's Personal Computers.) And when doing that, it's usually a trusted utility such as HJT doing the deletions. Sorry that didn't really answer your question, but that's my opinion.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #11
Happy to support TSF!

My System

A very wise opinion too hopper. Registry cleaners can be handy programs to have but in order to fully benefit from them, it helps to have a fairly good understanding of the structure of the registry and how it works otherwise using registry cleaners can cause problems. Very rarely is the general PC performance improved after cleaning the registry though some do disable many non-vital programs from running when Windows starts which in turn makes the booting process quicker and fooling the user that their system has been tweaked when in reality those programs can easily be disabled from running in their own settings.

Many registry cleaners find hundreds/thousand of empty/invalid keys which is deletes but those keys do not normally effect the running of Windows as they're simply ignored.

That said, I can personally recommend Registry First Aid as it's the most complete registry cleaning program I have used.....I'm not saying it's 100% safe as it is down to the user to make the final decision on the programs results but it's always worked ok for me. If you do decide to get one, make sure it saves backups of everthing which is edited/deleted...the same applies if you edit the registry manually.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #12
Registered Member

Thumbs Down

whoa,

I've never ever had good luck with those things... I've had my XP installed and running fine for 2 years... I don't see why anyone would want to mess with their registry unless something was wrong. and even then I never rely on a program to look for problems....

Just not a good idea!

ae1294
Old 02-03-2007, 10:14 AM   #13
Registered Member

i do understand that the registry is not something to tamper with, seeing as it holds all folders/doc etc etc but i'm sure that when u use winxp cd u fix the registry, because the winxp ins't so much as a registry fix like regseeker or registry first aid, but it checks ur registry and if ur missing any of the default files, or any have been corrupted it will replace with a new one, and i'm 100% sure i've read this if it hasn't been HERE or at www.techsupportguy.com its nothing that make anything worse, its just using the Windows XP cd, also what is a good number of programs to have running on startup cause i have like 38 (at the moment) and only 7 that come up on the icon tray.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:28 AM   #14
Registered Member

Are you referring to the registry? When you say "replace missing files", it leads me to believe you are referring to System File Checker. To run this and check for any OS files that may be missing or corrupt, simply go to Run and type sfc /scannow. If it finds problems, you will be prompted for your Windows CD.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #15
Registered Member

yes!! thats it thats what i meant thank you hopper, :DDD much love haha jk
Old 02-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #16
Registered Member

Eventhough, i still cant access windows firewall for some reason, it just says "due to unidentified problems, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall Settings.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #17
Registered Member

Here's a link for you paper:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm

Hope you can get it resolved!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #18
Registered Member

ok huge problem here, i tried that site, i downloaded a new registry, followed all the instructions now my computer is just restarting, it gets to the point where its got the loading winxp screen then restarts, i can only manaage to get into safe mode ( i'm using a differemt computer at the moment) so i'm gonna try and delete that new registry and see if things turn better then, crap this is bad
Old 02-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #19
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Do you know how to delete the registry keys which were merged with the file?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #20
Registered Member

using regedit right?, i'm just curious tho, it says that this registry thing has"merged" with the registry.