Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Files not showing up but really exist

This is a discussion on Files not showing up but really exist within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok so heres the problem, I woke up this morning and decided to go mix some music(im a DJ parttime)..

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ok so heres the problem,

I woke up this morning and decided to go mix some music(im a DJ parttime).. i go in to my music folder through my documents.. only to find it doesnt even exist.. yet I can click shortcut to my music(in the start menu) and its tehre.. but my subfolders arnt.. Now heres where it gets me super confused... I go into my DJ program PCDJ and click on my techno subfolder.. it can still access all of the songs so they HAVE to be on my computer somewhere.. yet I can run a search for them and they dont show up.. nor do they exist in the folder where they were saved.. Also I have a shortcut to one of my subfolders in my documents thats on my desktop.. i can click the desktop shortcut.. it'll take me to the folder.. yet if I click back on the folder it takes me back to My documents and NO trace of the subfolder at all.. This has been bothering me all day, I'm a pretty advanced computer user and I have never heard of anything like this in my life.. any ideas of what caused it? or how to fix it.. If not I just lost a whole lot of my mixes and pictures and other stuff i'd like to keep!

Old 04-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
Registered Member

You can try to do this.

Go to tools > Folder Options > View > than make the following settings

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;
Attached Images
File Type: bmp TSF TN.bmp (926.0 KB, 961 views)

Old 04-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

nope.. tried that.. folders arnt hidden.. they "dont exist" according to windows.. like I can even search for the file.. but it wont find em.. yet i can access them through shortcuts and through the run command if i know their exact location.. this is weird as heck.. I also cant save files.. i tried to save some screenshots for you guys to see.. but i refreshed the folder and they dissapeared
Old 04-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
Registered Member

and

Old 04-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

If you make a right click on one of the files from the second picture, then click properties, you will see the complete adress for that file.

Is that adress
c:\documents and settings\Klash\my documents\the_file_in_question ?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Before the Windows experts come along with a fix, backup any files you can find. Don't create any more folders yet and try to avoid writing to the hard drive in case you overwrite the 'missing' folder locations.

watch?v=qA5faeCGg-w
Old 04-10-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
Registered Member

yes taht is the address for the file in question
Old 04-10-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Like koala said, backup all your datas.

Can you access those files if you move the disk to another computer ?

You could also try this, but it may alter your data in case the problem comes from a hardware failure : Start => run => cmd => chkdsk c: /F /R. It will ask you to unmount the drive, answer "n" (no), then it will ask if you want to schedule a checkdisk at windows start, answer "y". Reboot and report if it found errors.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

If you try to slave the drive to another system you will first have to set your file permissions so that the other system will be able to enter your Documents And Settings folder.

Lydokane