Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatal Error when Installing![RESOLVED]

16K views 60 replies 4 participants last post by  Tumbleweed36 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, when I try to install windows, at the main downloading screen, it gives me a Fatal Error: Access Denied. I tried 3 Windows XP disks, too! Any help?
-Arnack

#3 ·
I think some more info is needed in order to understand the issue.

Is there Windows already installed on this computer? If so, did you boot and then insert the CD? Or are you booting from the CD?
at the main downloading screen
I am not sure what that means as that is not enough or correct info. The installation routine is in 2 distinct phases. During the first phase files are being copied from the CD to the hard drive. Then the computer reboots and the second phase starts - the GUI phase, where you see objects and images on the screen while the rest of Windows installs. Please tell us specifically at what point in the procedure does it fail, and what exactly is the error message that you are getting?

It may also be helpful to know why you are installing Windows in the first place. What was the issue with this computer that you are curing by installing Windows, or is this a new computer?

#4 ·
I think some more info is needed in order to understand the issue.

Is there Windows already installed on this computer? If so, did you boot and then insert the CD? Or are you booting from the CD?I am not sure what that means as that is not enough or correct info. The installation routine is in 2 distinct phases. During the first phase files are being copied from the CD to the hard drive. Then the computer reboots and the second phase starts - the GUI phase, where you see objects and images on the screen while the rest of Windows installs. Please tell us specifically at what point in the procedure does it fail, and what exactly is the error message that you are getting?

It may also be helpful to know why you are installing Windows in the first place. What was the issue with this computer that you are curing by installing Windows, or is this a new computer?
Windows Vista was installed, but I deleted that partition. I started my computer, puted the CD in, and turned off my computer and turned it back on. It fails on the GUI Page, and it gives me a "Fatal Error" Access Denied. I can't get some file from the CD to my computer I think. If I press OK it gives me an error report.

#7 ·
Well, I was thinking more in the line of pen and paper.

I am still thinking through the issue, but it might be tough without more exact info.

A couple of ideas first come to mind:

Unplug any printers, etc you might have plugged into this machine before trying to install XP.

How old is this machine? If it is 5 or 6 years old it is possible that the CD drive is too old to work properly and an upgrade might be needed.

#8 ·
Perhaps you can review this article. Make sure you are following all of the steps. If you continue to have issues, please tell us at exactly what stage. The good thing about this article is it has lots of pictures for each phase of the installation, so you should be able to identify at what stage the issue arises.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/install.mspx

#9 ·
Okay, thanks, I'll try that. But i'll tell you what I have been doing: During the non-gui installation it tells me that it cannot load blah.xml or yadda.xml. It asks me to press ESC to ignore. I think it cannot load any .xml files. So what I did is I put an object on the ESC key, and just waited an hour or two, and when I came back I just restarted the computer, and it went back to the GUI screen and I got the error.. Dunno if that would be a problem.

#12 · (Edited)
Hi,

Do it the easy way. Under my signature, there is a link called Hard Drive Diagnostics. Open that one and download the one that is appropriate (the one for the drive manufacturer of your hard drive)for your computer (using the computer you are on right now), then use this to partition the drive, do a clean format, and then you will ready for the install. Should be a piece of cake if you don't have other problems.

Just remember when you are ready to install that you need to have your Hard Drive Priority (if your board has that option) and your Boot order (CDRom - 1st.....Floppy - 2nd.....Hard Drive (boot drive) - 3rd) set correctly before you begin the install.

Post back with questions/concerns.

#16 ·
Well, there are not too many things happening when you are at that stage of the installation. What is happening at that stage is files from the CD are being copied to RAM. There are basically three things that can go wrong:

1) the CD is defective. You said earlier that you have tried different CDs with the same result. So it probably not this.

2) the CD drive is old and the firmware needs updating. You still haven't said how old the CD drive and what model it is.

3) the RAM memory is defective. If you care to test the memory:

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic
Memtest86

#19 ·
Open your case and see what hdd you have, go to the manufactures website and download their utilities,create a bootable floppy.

Use this to write zeros to the drive, if you have more than one drive in the machine disconnect power to the drive you do not wish to format to avoid accidentally doing so.

Then use the same utilities to partion and format the drive.

After all this is complete boot from you windows cd and see if you can install.

Keep us posted of you progress and ask questions if necessary

#23 ·
Whats the brand and model number? Maybe I can find out what drive the use.

There are other programs to zero fill the drive but I would like to use the manufactures because you will also be able to partion and format with theirs instead of using the windows cd

#24 ·
You may need to remove the hard drive from your case in order to read the label on it. The label will contain the Manufacturer and the model of the Hard Drive.

Go to the manufacturer's website and download their disk utility to check the hard drive out:
  • Fujitsu "FJDT" DOWNLOAD Works with fujitsu models only.
  • Hitachi / IBM - DFT "Drive Fitness Test" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Maxtor "Powermax" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Samsung "hutil" DOWNLOAD Compatability unknown.
  • Seagate "Seatools" DOWNLOAD Works with Seagate drives only.
  • Toshiba - N/A There are no tools available for Toshiba, but you may be able to use IBM or Maxtor's.
  • Western Digital "Data Lifeguard" DOWNLOAD Works with WD drives only.

#27 ·
In Alberts post above try the maxtor link he provided this may work I have found it works on most any drive.

Just make sure to write zeros to the drive and then partition and format.

I think Tumble is back, hopefully he has some more ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.