Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Fan runs constantly... computer very slow.

This is a discussion on Fan runs constantly... computer very slow. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am not sure if this is the right place for this post because I don't know what the problem

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am not sure if this is the right place for this post because I don't know what the problem is. I am running a Dell Inspirion 9400 Laptop with Windows XP and have all the latest service packs installed. I have a gig of RAM and about a 200G HD. I run Spyware Doctor, Avast, Regpro, and Wise Registry cleaner as well as a couple of other attack dogs I cannot think of just now. My computer is about three years old. I have had no major problems with it besides the usual Dell powersupply failures.

About four days ago I noticed the fan began to hum loudly and the computer slowed way down to a fraction of its normal speed and stayed that way until I reset. Upon resetting, the fan shuts off and speed returns to normal for a few minutes... then the fan comes back on and the computer slows down again. I have researched online for possible solutions. I have tried the following:

I ran evey spyware, anti-virus, and registry cleaner I have. They ran very slowly, but did seem to work. This made very little difference.

I ran msconfig.exe and disabled every application under "services" and "startup" that I could leaving only my wireless adapter, the microsoft services, and avast entries. This helped a little. The processor usage dropped from 100% to around 60% when the fan is on.

I did a CHKDSK on reboot and a defrag. No errors and no difference.

I took the computer apart and cleaned out the fan and intake for the cooling device that is attached to the heat sink for the processor. I found a significant dust bunny there, but no place else. When I started up again, the computer ran faster than it has run in a year. But the next day the problem re-appeared worse than before. I took the computer apart again and found no further problems inside.

Following another suggestion for dealing with a similar problem, I went to the event manager and cleared the logs for the first three entries... this made no noticable difference.

I have noticed these things while watching the task manager:

Services.exe seems to be related to the problem. Before the fan comes on, it shows little CPU usage. After it comes on it jumps around erratically from 10% to 30%. Listed under Services are ten instances of svchost.exe. Of these, one consistently bounces around from 0% to 15% in a predictable rythym. When I temporarily disable this application, Windows Explorer will not run. When I re-enable it, explorer will run. I also notice that spoolsv.exe bounces around from 0% to 20%, even though there are no print jobs queued. I do not think this is the virus version since it is identified in task manager as a SYSTEM application.

There do not appear to be any other processes that can account for this behavior.

I am completely stumped. I am also out of ideas. The computer fan comes on now about two minutes after reboot with no applications at all running. Before I tried all of these "fixes" the problem would not arise until I was watching videos for 10 minutes or doing something else that required processing power. It seems I have succeeded only in making the problem worse. Any ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Robert Mickelsen

Old 12-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Moderator Offline

Just a short word of advise is all I can offer.

Did you read the Announcement at the very top of this forum. It is about reg cleaners?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/micr...-cleaners.html

I don't care if they are free ones or paid ones, they always cause more problems than they fix.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

OK... I will get rid of mine.

Now, how do I fix this?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
Enthusiast

My System

Get yourself a copy of this and run it.
It is a better version of task manager that will help to identify what is running in each instance of svchost.
This will help in deciding how to proceed.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx
Old 12-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat mcgroin View Post
Get yourself a copy of this and run it.
It is a better version of task manager that will help to identify what is running in each instance of svchost.
This will help in deciding how to proceed.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx
Thanks. I have been running a similar program... in fact it may even be the same program... I can't tell right now because I am running a boot-loevel anti virus scan of the entire system. I will post logs and such as soon as the scan is done.

I am posting this from another computer.

- RAM
Old 12-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
Registered Member

OK... virus scan took nearly six hours but returned the following result:

C:\System volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A334BCA-956-051D24DDBF8F}RP864\A0282294.exe is infected by win32:malware-gen
Repair:Error 42060 {file not repaired}

then the same thing but A0282295.exe and A0282296.exe

But no such directory appears in windows explorer or my computer so I cannot see these files to delete them.

I am running process explorer and it shows some anomolies but nothing that would explain what is happening.

Help!