Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Extract files from a Installshield setup laumcher ?

This is a discussion on Extract files from a Installshield setup laumcher ? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey ! I have a setup.exe ( INstallshield setup launcher). I want to extract a specific file as setup launcher

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey !

I have a setup.exe ( INstallshield setup launcher). I want to extract a specific file as setup launcher is corrupted. I tried using Installshield premier 2008, but it can only create a setup file.

I know how to extract a setup file which is similar to CAB or RAR.

But i want to know how to extract files from a setup launcher, i need to take a specific .exe file and i want to edit it and once again place it with the setup launcher. Is is possible ??

Old 11-24-2007, 01:04 AM   #2
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to chauffeur2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvin88 View Post
Hey !

I have a setup.exe ( INstallshield setup launcher). I want to extract a specific file as setup launcher is corrupted. I tried using Installshield premier 2008, but it can only create a setup file.

I know how to extract a setup file which is similar to CAB or RAR.

But i want to know how to extract files from a setup launcher, i need to take a specific .exe file and i want to edit it and once again place it with the setup launcher. Is is possible ??
G'Day arvin, Welcome to TSF!

We need to have more information about the name of the program that you are trying to install, and where it originally came from...that is, did you download it from the Internet, or is it on a CD/DVD?

Please post back with this information, so that we may assist you further.

Kind Regards,

If it works, Don't fix it!
Especially if Microsoft made it!
Old 11-24-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

It is a Educational Material for GMAT. It is a basically chinese software. I got it from my friend. The starting dialog boxes are in chinese, like software login and all. But the tests are in English.

So i edited the gmatcat.exe file of that software using PE Explorer and changed the chinese language to English. Now i want to replace that gmatcat.exe file with my edited file. So i can pass this setup files to my friends.

But the problem is i dont know how to edit a Installshield setup launcher and put my file in that. If it is a ordinary Cab setup, i can extract it and replace it and i will again compress it back.

But i am not able to do this as the software application uses Install shield setup launcher
Old 12-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have recently had this problem. I discovered that the newest version of Winzip will open .exe setup files. Right click on the setup.exe and click "Extract files to ...."
Old 12-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

can u help me
Old 12-06-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

You can try:

Winzip
Winrar
Tugzip

Download and install one of the following. The right click on the .exe and click Extract files or something similar

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Closed Thread