Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

External HDD on USB extension chord

This is a discussion on External HDD on USB extension chord within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello I have a Buffalo 500GB mini USB HDD (does not require an external power source). It has two partitions.

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via Yahoo to src2206
Hello

I have a Buffalo 500GB mini USB HDD (does not require an external power source). It has two partitions. If I attach it to a USB extension chord, the HDD is not detected by XP (SP3, updated with the latest patches) as an HDD. It is shows under "Removable Drives" in "My Computer" folder, but if I double click on it I get an error message: "Please enter a drive...".
If I attach the HDD using the short (very short to be precise) cable, XP detects both the partitions without any problem and lists both under "HDD".
The extension chord is not much long, about 3.5~4ft.

Is it because the partitions that the HDD is not detected on the USB extension chord?

Thank you

Old 07-22-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
Is it because the partitions that the HDD is not detected on the USB extension chord?
No, it is because the HDD does not get enough power from the USB port of the computer when you attach a USB Extension to it. If the HDD had an external Power Adapter, then you could attach a USB Extension cable to it. Since you don't, you will need to use either a longer USB cable that does not use an extension or use the shorter cable. If this is a Desktop computer, plug the drive into the Back USB port and not through the front or through a USB Hub.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via Yahoo to src2206

I have plugged it to the back Panel USB port, because even with the shorter cable the front panel USB port can not supply enough power.
And yes, you are right, even removing the second partition did not help.
So what type of extension cable should I look for? A shorter one? The present one has a kind of cylindrical part near to the female part of the usb extension cable.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

There is no extension cord that will work with this drive.
is the end of the cable to the Drive attached to the drive or is it a separate cable?(attaching a picture would help) If a separate cable, just get a longer one, 6FT is the maximum. But remember the further the drive is away from the USB port, the less power it is getting to the drive and the harder it will be to get recognized. You can always remove the HDD from the enclosure and put it in another USB enclosure with a power adapter.
Closed Thread