Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Explorer.exe uses a lot of CPU usage and memory

This is a discussion on Explorer.exe uses a lot of CPU usage and memory within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Whenever I open any file/folder or anything in My Computer the explorer.exe starts using 100% of CPU and my system

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Whenever I open any file/folder or anything in My Computer the explorer.exe starts using 100% of CPU and my system slows down. I've tried autochk.exe but it says that my computer does not support it.

OS Windows XP SP 2

Old 06-05-2008, 01:31 AM   #2

OS: xp pro sp3, 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Server 2003, Server 2008, VMware vCenter Server

My System

Send a message via MSN to vladimirb Send a message via Yahoo to vladimirb Send a message via Skype™ to vladimirb

Hi, did you try to scan your PC with anti-virus software???
Did it uninstall some software or updated your drivers lately???
Could you provide us with your PC specifications???
Also download some anti-trojan software like Spybot - Search & Destroy or AdAware 2007 and scan your PC...

Old 06-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

OS - Windows XP SP 2
Intel Pentium 4 Processor
512 MB RAM
Old 06-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Answer vladimirb's questions and follow his recommendations. Check the posting system specs link in my sig to learn what we need to know. Download and install the latest drivers for your hardware on the manufacturer's website.

Right-click the c: drive => properties => tools => check now under error checking => tick both boxes and click on start. You'll be prompted to restart the computer. Tell us about the scan's results. If you skipped them go to start => run and type eventvwr.msc. Go to the application section and find the latest winlogon entry (click on the title of the source column to sort them alphabetically). Double-click it, click on the third button on the right (this copies the informations in the memory) then right-click => paste those informations here.

See if there are other errors in the security, system or application sections of the event viewer.

Make sure you've installed all the latest critical updates from Windows update.

Check the other processes running in the background.

What antivirus, firewall and anti-spyware do you use ?
Old 06-07-2008, 06:41 AM   #5
Registered Member

I have Kaspersky Internet Security installed. Version - 7.0 updated
Old 06-07-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

What about our other questions. We can't help you if you don't give us the information we ask.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
Registered Member

The scan results are positive. It does not found any error.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

ok but you haven't answered the following questions and your system specs are incomplete :

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimirb View Post
Hi, did you try to scan your PC with anti-virus software???
Did it uninstall some software or updated your drivers lately???
Could you provide us with your PC specifications???
Also download some anti-trojan software like Spybot - Search & Destroy or AdAware 2007 and scan your PC...
Click on the posting system specs link in my sig and create a .txt hardware report using everest's report wizard. Attach it to your next post using the manage attachments button (click on post reply or go advanced).

Kaspersky may have skipped something, download and install adaware (the free version) and scan your drive with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Download and install the latest drivers for your hardware on the manufacturer's website.

Go to start => run and type eventvwr.msc. See if there are errors in the security, system or application sections of the event viewer.

Make sure you've installed all the latest critical updates from Windows update.

Check the other processes running in the background
Download, unzip and run process explorer (no need to install anything). See what other processes or threads take some cpu usage when your problem happens.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
Registered Member

Sorry for being late to reply. Well I checked event viewer and found in system column it is full of eroors. All the errors are with the same source DCOM. I have also scanned my PC with AdAware but did not fond anything.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:04 AM   #10
Registered Member

Whenever I open any folder procwss explorer gets minimized so I can't see which thread is using memory.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:14 AM   #11
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Go to options and tick always on top.

In process explorer go to file => save as, create a .txt report and attach the file to your next post (click on post reply or on go advanced and use the manage attachments button).

Please do this :
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Click on the posting system specs link in my sig and create a .txt hardware report using everest's report wizard. Attach it to your next post using the manage attachments button (click on post reply or go advanced).
Had you installed anything new before the problem started ?
Old 06-14-2008, 04:16 AM   #12
Registered Member

No, I hadn,t
Old 06-14-2008, 04:18 AM   #13
Registered Member

O.K. I,m posting the process explorer file.

Process PID CPU Description Company Name
DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls
Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts
System 4 1.54
System Idle Process 0 96.92
guard.exe 1644 AVG Anti-Spyware guard GRISOFT s.r.o.
avp.exe 1668 Kaspersky Anti-Virus Kaspersky Lab
avp.exe 1456 Kaspersky Anti-Virus Kaspersky Lab
agentsvr.exe 288 Microsoft Agent Server Microsoft Corporation
csrss.exe 1024 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation
ctfmon.exe 1512 CTF Loader Microsoft Corporation
explorer.exe 880 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation
iexplore.exe 216 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation
lsass.exe 1104 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation
services.exe 1092 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation
smss.exe 908 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation
spoolsv.exe 2892 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation
sqlservr.exe 1692 SQL Server Windows NT Microsoft Corporation
sqlservr.exe 2216 SQL Server Windows NT Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1240 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1368 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1412 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1460 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1552 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
winlogon.exe 1048 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation
WINWORD.EXE 3748 Microsoft Office Word Microsoft Corporation
realsched.exe 1348 RealNetworks Scheduler RealNetworks, Inc.
procexp.exe 3332 1.54 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com
WebshotsTray.exe 1444 Webshots Desktop Tray Application The Webshots Corporation
Old 06-14-2008, 04:26 AM   #14
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Please go to the view tab, click on select columns and tick the following :

Virtual Size
Private Bytes
Private Delta Bytes
Page Faults
Working Set
Handles
Threads

Attach the resulting .txt file, don't paste it.

And please install everest, create a .txt hardware report and attach it too.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:33 AM   #15
Registered Member

Posted
Attached Files
File Type: txt Procexp1.TXT (2.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-14-2008, 04:38 AM   #16
Registered Member

I,m also sendig the my system specs
Attached Files
File Type: txt Report.txt (256.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-14-2008, 05:52 AM   #17
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Here's your motherboard's support page if needed :
http://support.intel.com/support/mot...glvg/index.htm

There's no problem with the processes (but you could uninstall webshots if you don't use it) but there are several problems with your hardware.

According to everest your CPU is overheating at 66°C and your 12V line isn't very healthy at 11.63V. This is the biggest problem. Ideally you also want the hard drive to stay under 45°C, yours is at 46°C.

Please follow all my instructions, print them if this is the only computer you have access to and ask someone else's help if you're unsure.

Repeatedly press del when the computer is starting to enter the BIOS utility. Find the hardware monitor or PC health & status screen and report your temps, fan speeds and voltages from there (use the arrows and esc key to navigate between menus).

Open the computer case and give us the brand, model and wattage of the power supply (you'll find those informations on the sticker that's on the side of the power supply block).

While the case is open check that there's no dust on the fans and heatsinks. If there's dust buy a can of compressed air at a local computer or electronics shop and clean it thoroughly. Here's a very good dust cleaning guide : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial118.html.

When you've cleaned all the dust replug the power cord, turn the computer on and check that all the fans are spinning (on your computer there should only be 2 or 3 fans : the CPU fan, the power supply fan and maybe a case fan). Enter the BIOS and report the CPU temp and voltages again. In the BIOS the CPU temp should stay under 50°C.

Cleaning the dust and solving the overheating problem will probably lower the load on the power supply. Check the state of the 12V line, if it's closer to 12V now (between 11.8 and 12.2V for instance) then your PSU isn't dying yet.

The following part is only for when you'll have solved the temp and voltage issues.

The 80GB Seagate hard drive is partitioned in 4 (that's not a problem) but partitions 2, 3 and 4 are still using the old FAT32 file system. If Windows XP is the only operating system you're using on that computer then I advise you to convert the FAT32 partitions to NTFS. The process takes some time but you won't lose any data. You must solve the overheating issue first since an overheating CPU could cause read or write errors and corrupt some of your files.

Start by defragmenting all partitions, including the system partition : start => all programs => accessories => system tools => disk defragmenter.

Also make sure there are no errors on the drive you're going to convert : right-click each drive => properties => tools => check now under error checking and tick both boxes. You've already scanned drive c, this time I want you to scan drives d, e and f.

Once you're ready to start the conversion process go to start => run and type cmd. Type vol d: and write down the name of the volume. Then type convert d: /fs:ntfs. Confirm the name of the volume and hit enter. Don't do anything on the computer while the drive is being converted. Once you see the message "Conversion complete" wait for another 2 or 3 minutes since XP will do some tidying up after the conversion.

Restart the computer and repeat the operation for drives e: and f:

Other suggestions that won't impact much on the computer's performances :

The display is set at 1024*768 60hz. Since your monitor supports it you should be able to set it to 85hz for better eye comfort : right-click an unused place on the desktop => properties => settings => advanced => monitor.

You're using 2 ram sticks from different brands and with different speeds :
DIMM1: Samsung M3 68L3223HUS-CCC = PC3200
DIMM3: 256UFURBUGAD = PC2700
This is not a problem by itself but the memory will run at the speed of the slowest stick (PC2700 = 166 MHz). It's recommended to use a matching pair, especially in a dual channel configuration. Next time you upgrade the RAM make sure you buy 2 identical sticks for better stability and performances.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #18
Registered Member

Will doing this solve my problem. Since I,m not a computer professional and I can,t take out cpu fan. I have already cleaned it 1 month ago with the help of some another and have also applied a new thermal paste to my cpu since it was overheating. Is there any other way to do it.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #19
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Your problem is caused by your CPU overheating and your drives being FAT32 (and probably fragmented). The first problem is the CPU. 66°C is the max temp for your CPU, intel P4 processors throttle down (= decrease their performances) so that the temp stops increasing when they reach max temp to prevent further damage.

If the thermal paste job was done properly, if there's no dust on the heatsink and fan and if the fan works properly then the CPU temp should stay below 50°C.

You may have put too much paste or the heatsink may not be attached properly. Get some Arctic Silver 5 compound and follow these instructions : http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

When changing the thermal paste you must first clean the old paste from the top of the CPU heatspreader and from the bottom of the heatsink. To do that use Q-tips and Acetone or high-purity alcohol like Isopropyl alcohol. Once both surfaces are completely clean apply the size of a rice grain of paste on the middle of the CPU heatspreader then reseat the heatsink in a single vertical motion. The pressure of the heatsink will spread the thermal paste for you. Make sure the heatsink is firmy attached and doesn't budge at all then replug the fan, replug the computer and see what temps you have.

You also need to clean the other areas of the computer (see the cleaning guide in my previous post) and you'll need to use a can of compressed air to take the dust that's between the heatsink and fan fins.

Also leave the side of the computer case open for some time and see if there's an improvement.

Closed Thread