Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

explorer.exe stops and starts

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Don Cope 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

My daughter's Dell computer has run fine up until recently. When she starts her computer, everything starts up normally, but then all the icons on the desktop vanish, only to reappear 10 - 15 seconds later. This continues to occur for about 5-8 minutes, and then they just disappear altogther. I can make them reappear at that point by using the Task Manage run command. When I open Task Manager and watch the processes, explorer.exe disappears and reappears (in concert with the icons of course). Programs run once opened, but the desktop continues to disappear and reappear.

She was running for a period of time without virus software (I know, I know, what was she thinking). I have loaded Norton Anti-Virus, updated virus definitions and scanned her machine (22 viruses found and quarantined), but the intermittent explorer.exe thing is still there.

Any suggestions prior to me just wiping the disk clean and reloading Windows? Thanks

#2 ·
Hello and Welcome to TSF

The security team can help you with those. You are probably still infected. We cannot assist you with this issue here in the Microsoft Support Forum.

Please read this sticky: http://www.techsupportforum.com/f112/if-you-think-your-computer-is-infected-203704.html

If you cannot complete any of the 5 steps for whatever reason, just continue on with the next one until they are all completed, and post your logs in The HJT Help Forum; where an Analyst will assist you. However, it is very important to make mention of any of the steps that you were not able to complete.

After you’ve posted your logs, please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are very busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.