Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

explorer.exe missing, iertutil.dll missing, the ordinal number 681 could not... e.t.c

This is a discussion on explorer.exe missing, iertutil.dll missing, the ordinal number 681 could not... e.t.c within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, Few days ago, i uninstalled the IE8. after the restart, the task bar didn't load and i got a

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,
Few days ago, i uninstalled the IE8.
after the restart, the task bar didn't load and i got a message " iertutil.dll not found" i downloaded the file and paste it in C:\WINDOWS\System32
(I tried to paste it also in C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache. but it doesn't exist.)
After that the task bar still doesn't load but i get a different message "the ordinal 681 could not be located in the dynamic link library iertutil.dll"

Now i can basically work only from the task manager.
So far i tried the following and didn't succeed:

1) Re-install IE8, ( I downloaded the setup file from more than 10 defferent sources and in the prosses to install i get this message, "setup was unable to initialize. Please look at the logs C:\WINDOWS for more info.."

2) Uninstall SP3, (I tried 3 different ways, i keep getting a message "windows could not load the installer for keyboard. Please contact your hardware vendor...")

3) Restore to previous point, I tried with 2 ways
(open new task: %systemroot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe) and
(safe mode with command prompt C:\Windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe)
i always get this message "the ordinal 681 could not be loc....."

4) System File Checker ( task manager, open new task, sfc \scannow) the application opens but it doesn't run, i left it there for 3 hours... nothing.

I will appreciate any help,
GeoX

Old 11-22-2010, 04:01 AM   #2
Registered Member

I have the same problem, I'm going to try the old fashioned way to repair XP with the Windows XP install disk, I'll let you know if it works within a day or two, send me info back if you already know how to fix it please.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

The cd trick ever work?