Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exclusively Locked Files

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Heli 
#1 · (Edited)

I have added an external HDD to my Windows XP Home system, connected via USB 2.0.
Since it was a used HDD, I formatted it in order to have a "clean" drive (for video purposes).
Now it is clean, at least the system tells me so.
But besides the reserved space for MFT the drive still has all over the space some files, all beginning with $, which cannot be moved nor deleted.
The O&O Defragmentation Tool, beeing the only one to show me their existence, tells me, that they are "exclusively locked files".

Question:
How can I delete them, or at least move them to the beginning of the space in order to give me free and uninterrupted storage space, which I need for the proper handling of large volume video data.

Any ideas, comments or help suggestions are highly welcome and appreciated.

Heli

#3 ·
http://www.killdisk.com/erase.htm

Using Active@ KillDisk our powerful and compact free utility, you can destroy all data on your hard and removable drive(s) without the possibility of future recovery of deleted files and folders. After which you would be able to dispose, recycle, sell or donate your storage device with peace of mind.

#4 ·
To BRM777

No, I do not see the "$"-Files in the explorer.
They appear in the display of the O&O Defrag Tool after an analysis of the HDD, marked as brown dot. When I klick the dot I see the content of that storage area incl file names.
They are real since they occupy the storage space.
Heli

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.