Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Exception Privilege Instruction - Oxc0000096

This is a discussion on Exception Privilege Instruction - Oxc0000096 within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. exception privileged instruction (Oxc0000096) occurred in the application at location Ox7509800 This is a Packard bell laptop running Windows XP

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

exception privileged instruction (Oxc0000096) occurred in the application at location Ox7509800

This is a Packard bell laptop running Windows XP home edition and Office 2003.

It recently had a memory upgrade.

I have run Registry Scan, Super Anti Spyware, Malware Bytes, Defrag - and cleaned it up so the performance is great... but I still get this error at start up.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi Ian, After doing some reading about these errors, it seems that there are a couple of causes.

1). Bad memory. Since you mentioned you just had a memory update in my mind memory is suspect. It might just need to be reseated, provided the new memory is good and its the correct memory for your motherboard that might just solve your whole problem.

2). The second problem that seems to cause this error are 3rd party programs, that conflict with micosoft. Did this problem start to occur after installing a new program by chance? If thats the case and your able to boot up and use the computer at all a system restore might solve the problem.

I would check and reseat the ram first. These are two very simple things you can try to solve this issue. If you need any help doing these things post back and we will help you.

Reguards
Patmark

Sometimes its the simplist solution that fixes the problem.

Keep it simple stupid.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Patmark,

Both suggestions really helpful, thank you. I do need some more help please but here is some more background.

A second error message is coming up - Generic Host process for Win32 services encountered a problem and needed to close.

Now - this is my father's laptop and he had the memory sorted out by a shop whilst abroad. he's come home and these two errors have only appeared after the memory was replaced. Also, the shop installed Spybot-S&D on the laptop.

AVG free anti virus is also running.

I use malwarebytes and Trend at work but Malwarebytes/Norton for my wife's home computer. I do not know if Spybot/AVG are any good - but he seems to collect spyware pretty easily on this laptop.

I have replaced memory in PCs but never in a laptop, so do not know how to access this. Reseating - I assume - is to simply remove and replace into the same slots, but ensuring the connection is a good one?

I can disconnect from the internet and disable the spybot and AVG and try rebooting to see what happens?

Very appreciative of your help, thank you

ian
Old 08-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus

Ok Ian thanks for the info. Im about to take the wife out for a bite to eat, so while Im gone try this. Go to start -programs-accessories-system tools-system restore. Click next. Select a highlighted date from just before the computer was in the shop. You can scroll back to july if you need to via the <> buttons at the top. select the system check point it shows on the right. then click on the restore or next at the bottom. Then leave it alone until it reboots and gives you a message that either it was successful or it wasnt. This should put the computer back to when it didnt have the programs that the shop installed. If they were the culprits that should fix the problems your having with it. If not when I get home I'll try to find you step by step instructions on how to get to the ram so we can try that angle. If it works and its working fine after the restore, when I get home we can install some other programs that are free, do the same thing, and wont screw up the system. Ill check in as soon as I get back. Good luck

Reguards
Patmark

Keep it simple stupid.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

Patmark,

I jumped the gun a little!!

I ran malwarebytes and it found 4 nasty things that were removed.

I found where the RAM was installed, removed both chips and reset them. I rebooted.

I got a launch without the Exception privilege error but still with the WIN32 services message.

I went to shut down/restart and the laptop froze.

I held down the off button closed it down and restarted.

It is now taking forever to open up again.

This has been a recurring pattern throughout today - I seem to clear something and then it jams again.

Anyway, I have rebooted and the Exception priviliege has certainly gone away. One down - thank you very much.

Now just the Win 32 message...any thoughts?

Ian

PS Hope you had a nice dinner.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus

Hi Ian, Grats bud but I wish you would have followed my suggetion and done a system restore first. Its still worth a try but with a malware infection you may find that you dont have any restore points check points or otherwise. Follow my instructions for doing a system restore located in my previous post and let me know if your able to do one and if it fixed the problem. If it doesnt then I will post the instructions for help with malware issues in my next post. Good luck I hope the SR works for you. I'll check back in a little while.

Patmark

Keep it simple stupid.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
Registered Member

Patmark,

Sorry, should have said - I did do a system restore earlier in the day and that seemed to have worked. However, I had to check with my father today to find out exactly;y when he had the work done to ensure I chose a point before that date. I'll do this today and let you know the result.

Cheers

ian
Old 08-08-2010, 05:28 AM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus

Ok Ian, I be around all day. Thanks

Patmark

Keep it simple stupid.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hi Patmark,

OK, I have now tried the system restore and every time it fails. I have had to remove spybot because I thought that was blocking the change. I have tried six times on six different dates and each time it says it could not be done and no changes were made.

Both error messages still appear.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus

Hi Ian im sorry I couldnt get this fixed for you. Im afraid my friend that you have a maleware infection. Please follow the instructions below to get the proper help you need.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

After running through all the steps, please post the requested logs in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum, not here.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

I believe this will help you.

Take care
Patmark

Keep it simple stupid.
Closed Thread