Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Every time I click on something the Window installer pops up!!

This is a discussion on Every time I click on something the Window installer pops up!! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I ran a disc clean up and now every time I click on something the Windows installer pops up and

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

I ran a disc clean up and now every time I click on something the Windows installer pops up and I have to wait a few minutes for it to install the program. Everything works after it installs.

What have I done?? Even entering the Internet it has to install before I can proceed.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Mentor Emeritus, Microsoft Support

OS: Windows XP Home & Pro. Sp3 / both compleatly updated

My System

Send a message via MSN to mike2020learnin

Hello ,

Go to Start/Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Admin Tools/Services
Right click on Windows Installer/Properties.
The Windows Installer service will be started, and the Stop button will be disabled.
Use the drop down box to change Startup type to “Disabled”, click Apply, then OK, and reboot your computer. This stops the service.

After your computer reboots, go back to Services
Open Windows Installer Properties again and change the Startup type back to Manual.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows Vista
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows 98/ ME / NT 4.0 / 2000

Old 01-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Okay, after some research it seemed my Windows Installer problem was linked to me recently removing my Microsoft Office programs. I really do not understand how they where linked but by downloading a Microsoft uninstaller tool and removing Office programs with it the Windows Installer no longer pops up. I still have a problem though.

Windows Security Center thinks my virus protection is out of date? Every time I log on I get the pop up saying I am not protected. I am using Trend PC-cillin and it is up to date.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

tothetop
Old 01-19-2009, 07:17 AM   #5

My System

Hello ,

when you did thr removal of office you may have removed a little mor then you wanted

i seggust that you do this

do you have a Windows Xp cd, not the restore cd's that come with some systems, the cd will have the Windows logo & 3D hollowgram/image on it

if you do not maybe you can barrow one from a friend/family member/co-worker as long as it is the same version that is on your system

if you have (Windows XP Home Ed. sp2 ) then the cd will have to be that / if you have a cd with (Windows XP Home Ed. )you will have to slipstream (SP2 ) onto a disk that you create

this also applies to (Windows XP Professsional )
this also applies to (sp3 )

http://www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-sli...to-windows-xp/

now if you do have the Windows XP cd with sp2 please follow these steps as long as sp3 is not installed

--------------------------------------------

performing a (sfc) system file checker

It is a scan that checks the core files & dlls of the (os) operating system and replaces them if they are corrupt or missing with the correct original version

start

#1 then select (run) , then press enter
a window will open
#2 type in ( cmd ) then press enter
another window will open
#3 type in ( sfc )then press enter
another window will open
#4 type in (sfc /purgecache) then enter / your pc will work like crazy / this helps in rebuiding the cache file (notice the space between (sfc & /)
#5 type in (sfc /scannow ) then press enter ( notice the space between the (sfc & / )

now a scan will start , have your (Windows XP software disk ready ) your pc may ask for this disc when it starts or during the scan( so you must sit with the pc while this scan functions ) , if it does then incert the cd into one of your cd/rom/player's , your pc will then reconnize it and continue , you will then have to minimize the splash screen for the cd to see the scan , when the scan is finished you will need to close the cd and all open windows , then remove the cd

you will then need to do a ( Disk Cleanup ) , then empty the caches & temp files thru the (Internet Options) , then do a defrag

restart your pc
-----------------
also
-----------------
now this is the process

a (sfc) is a windows scanner that is directed at the core system files & dll's

it scans only these files & dll's to see if they have been corrupted or replaced by (maleware/spyware/trojans/ viruses/ ect..that are designed to mask themselves as part of the operating system and cause havic or send information/data to it maker /originator

now i do know that during this process that these 2 patches/hotfix's will be knocked out

KB902400 & KB914440

to wich can be easily reinstalled by downloading them from the download center at microsoft / since microsoft is always creating patches & fix's for the software to solve issues they placemant & page that they are on will change / when downloading them you can save them for fucture use and reinstalling / just make a file and put them into it / one will ask to have the system rebooted ( yes ) the other simply is installed

i use (Belarc Advisor)to wich will show you all your installed patchs & fix's and if they are intack & will give you a direct link to microsft to either give you info on the patch/fix or a link to reinstall the patch/fix

you can download it here

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Belarc_Advisor_d1385.html

now with the removal of infections i find it to be best to do a (sfc) for from the process of removal some files/ dlls can be damage and need to be replaced

now also when you remove infections it can also cause added programs to act weirdly or to stop fuctioning all together to wich they may need to be repaired or reinstalled
--------------
also
--------------
you may need to reinstall your antivirus so that your system will reconnize it again this can result from using tools that are ment to do cleanups / they accidently remove some things that they are not supose to

Old 01-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer1 View Post
Okay, after some research it seemed my Windows Installer problem was linked to me recently removing my Microsoft Office programs. I really do not understand how they where linked but by downloading a Microsoft uninstaller tool and removing Office programs with it the Windows Installer no longer pops up. I still have a problem though.

Windows Security Center thinks my virus protection is out of date? Every time I log on I get the pop up saying I am not protected. I am using Trend PC-cillin and it is up to date.
I wouldn't worry too much about the Windows Security center message as it has problems recognising a few anti-virus venders. If you're in doubt, always check with the venders website as they should publish the latest definition reference so you can match it with the details your end.

Personally, I disable the security center. I'm quite happy with the programs I have trusted to protect my computer, if someone goes wrong with them, they will notify me on their own
Old 01-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
Registered Member

I do not have a Windows disc or access to one. I guess my options are to buy one or live with the security alert balloon popping up? I have been considering updating to Vista, maybe this is a good time.

When I purchased my Dell I received a free upgrade to Vista. I choose not to upgrade because I was unfamiliar with Vista and it was unproven. I am curious if there is a time limit on redeeming my upgrade? Should I upgrade? I guess I am opening a whole new can of worms best discussed else where.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
Registered Member

my problem is similar. I tried to remove adobe reader 8 through the add/remove and it was going along fine then a window popped up "window installer" it started to load then up popped another window for Document viewer to install. this started to load and then another window "Microsoft.NET framework said I need to insert CD-ROM or other removeable disk that is not available. Insert the Document viewer disk and click ok????? I haven't any idea where this came from out of the blue. Everything was going fine and I am wondering since I installed HP photosmart C5180 all in one printer (which has a document viewer in its program) could there be a conflict?? I have had the printer for about a year and had no problems with opening PDF files through Adobe 8:4 until this last month or so. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #9

My System

hello,

i also have the (Security Center) turned off

you can disable this pop up by when the alert comes up click on it and it will take you to the Security Center and give you some options

one would be (I have a Antivirus that i will monitor my self) or some thing like that & the pop up will stop

Now

Not to (sylviacolan

please start your own thread so there will be no confusion of who is being helped

by the way yes this deals with yur printer & its software

Old 01-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
Registered Member

Well, I walked in from work a few minutes ago and logged on and did not get the security warning? Maybe it fixed its self,.... I did give my computer a stern talking to last night.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #11

My System

Hello ,

i liked that !!!!

they do have personalities of their own

i have always said this or rather thought it

that was awsome

i am glad you got it fixed

may the pc gods be with you

we will be here if you need us

Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer1 View Post
Well, I walked in from work a few minutes ago and logged on and did not get the security warning? Maybe it fixed its self,.... I did give my computer a stern talking to last night.
Hell has no fury like a computer scorned....beware
Old 01-20-2009, 05:50 AM   #13
Registered Member

That is something about computers that continues to amaze me,......how random there symptoms are when something is not right.