Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Error message: "This file does not have a program associated with it..."

This is a discussion on Error message: "This file does not have a program associated with it..." within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When one of the programs I use tries to generate a particular PDF report, I get this error: "This file

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

When one of the programs I use tries to generate a particular PDF report, I get this error:

"This file does not have a program associate with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel"

At the top of the window showing this error message it shows:

C:\DOCUM-1\ADMIN-1\LOCALS-1\Temp\ast3DO.pdf

I've gone to the control panel and the .pdf file is associated with Adobe Reader. There is obviously something I am missing.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Right click the file and choose Open With... Choose Adobe Reader from the list Put a check box in always associate this file with this program. You can also open Adobe Reader choose File/Open and browse to the downloaded file.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Problem is, I can't find that file. When I search for ast3DO.pdf, nothing is found.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What program is it? When the program generates a report, save the report to a location like your Desktop. If that isn't an option, start the Program, go to Preferences/Options and find the log file option and try to change the destination to where the log file is saved and the program that opens it.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
Registered Member

The program is Morningstar Principia. Either I can't find the report or it does not completely finishing generating it. I have gone to the Preferences section and I can see where they should be going, but these particular reports are not there. Other PDFs that get generated by the program do go there.

By the way, thanks for taking the time to help with this.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuckwheat View Post
I have gone to the Preferences section and I can see where they should be going, but these particular reports are not there. Other PDFs that get generated by the program do go there.
Try updating or patching the software. If you continue to have problems contact the Principia Support
Old 11-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks I'll give that a shot